Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Code reader

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Silverfox58

Code reader

Post by Silverfox58 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:14 pm

So I know this has been  done,
but whats the best code reader to use :)
X5 30d

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Code reader

Post by henrym3 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Very happy with my Foxwell NT644 Pro. I think I payed £300.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

marinaman

Post by marinaman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Think it depends what you want to do.

i got a v.1.4.0, from Ebay and that reads faults and resets  also codes items like enabling aux heat  etc

also got copy of INPA from Ebay but you cant use the same usb lead used for the v1.4.0 system. , more techical but what dealers use but take a bit more understanding, plenty of you tube vids for it though.

Both these you get a lead from the obd socket in the car to run to a laptop. i think these 2 are very cost effective at less than £20

Beware though. The INPA will flatten a full charged battery in a very short time, maybe  45 mins as i have found to my cost twice.

For the basic code reading and clearing codes i find the v1.4.0 is quick and simple
B&B by the sea in sunny Bridlington, best rates for members  :) www.themarina-bridlington.com

Silverfox58

Post by Silverfox58 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:40 am

Thats great i think i will look for one of those v1.4.0 can you tell me whare i can get one.
Thanks Paul
X5 30d

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:01 am

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:06 am

I bought one of those v1.4.0 from Ebay about 4 weeks back,in theory it looked good and stated that it could run on a Win7 laptop but as much as they tried and helped me the software could not load onto the laptop,so too be fair they did offer me a full refund and also including free return postage.

So i sent it back and they did payup straight away,it was possible a one of problematic issue,but looking for a stand alone code reader,will be ordering one during the week,but like most things in life you will always get the odd one that does not work and i had that rouge odd one  :)
2006 '56 BMW X5 D M SPORT LE-MANS EDITION

http://www.hideones.info

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:16 am

The MyCarly system might give you another option if you have Android or iPad tablets.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 am

[quote="X5Sport"]
The MyCarly system might give you another option if you have Android or iPad tablets.
[/quote]

Just had a look at that Craly link and that could well be the exact thing that i am looking for,will download it onto my tablet which is free,have you got to buy the OBD adapter from them or can one use the free download and say another cheaper adapter from Ebay ??

Thanks for the information and the link.

Silverfox58

Post by Silverfox58 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:47 am

That's was my  next question
X5 30d

Silverfox58

Post by Silverfox58 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:56 am

Hi Rick I don't know what  year yours us but I have A 2055 and you have to get the lead that plugs in to your phone ,
So I would say you can't  use thus on any other  then cralys products.
X5 30d

RickUK

Post by RickUK » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:28 am

[quote="Silverfox58"]
Hi Rick I don't know what  year yours us but I have A 2055 and you have to get the lead that plugs in to your phone ,
So I would say you can't  use thus on any other  then cralys products.
[/quote]

Sf58,should have mention mine is s 56 plate Le Mans diesel,the dilemma that i am having is that i dont use the X5 all that much only about 75 miles at most a week if that,as i dont have any trouble with it i cannot see the justification of spending mega money on something that will be used just a few times but of course if i did massive amounts of mileage or done everything service wise myself then i would get the very best,but have seen some stand alone systems on Ebay that are geared up for the E53 and allied models for not a massive amount of wonga so this is why i am planning on going down this route.

Think i have narrowed it down to 2 possible models and the front runner is about just over £30,so this eliminates a pc or tablet and basically does the same function without being over complex.

Will update and will probably buy one when i get back home later,

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:49 pm

You need to buy the specific Carly OBD2 adapter and the full version of the software. Carly Lite is free but nothing else is.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Silverfox58

Post by Silverfox58 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi so will the Carly reset say my headlights or something  like  that or would I have to get a better  one .
X5 30d

Upex

Post by Upex » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:03 am

I've asked the same a few times.

Ended up buying an old xp laptop, and it was very much a good decision.

The handheld are great and convenient (I've got 2) but offer many drawbacks, like what they can do and car comparability.

The pros of the laptop are worth the increased bulk in my view. Ie buy a cable and disk and it'll work with every car you have now, and in the future etc.

I picked the laptop and lots and lots of cables and software up for £125 delivered and have already used it on the x5, the Alfa gt and my Lexus. All 3 have read and done much more via laptop than the handhelds could do, like sorting my Lexus tyre pressure sensors. Handheld for that would be far more expensive than the laptop, if even achievable (I couldn't find one that was guaranteed to do it). Changing options and settings has been a breeze and again, likely that most handhelds simply lack that detail.

My only issue was figuring out which cable was needed for what car and what software, there was so much included with it. Still not figured out inpa etc, so will uninstall and start again, buying a cable and CD so I know which is which, otherwise I'll be trying combos for years to come lol.

If you have more than one marque or car, it's definitely the way to in my opinion.
2005 (55 plate) x5 3.0d sport, auto trans, nav tv thingy, but no dsp.

Under a turbo swap presently (fingers crossed it fixes her!)

Silverfox58

Post by Silverfox58 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks for that and thars what im going to do as im fed up with trolling thew adds and reading the same thing and not getting an answer.
X5 30d