Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tracker installation

General car related chat
acideraser

Tracker installation

Post by acideraser » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi guys, trackers have been discussed here before but I have a question about installation.
Tracker required by insurance - probably the area I live in, so not fitting one out of question. I'll probably go for Tracker Horizon or Monitor, or Smartrack.
There is official Tracker website offering Monitor £361 and Locate(new model, used to be Tracker Horizon) at £462 plus subscription. At the same time there are other websites (like Trackerfit.co.uk) offering Monitor at £174 and Horizon for £235, incl. installation - way cheaper. :o

Does anyone knows if it's safe to get it installed by these independent installers and why they do it cheaper?
------------------------------------
2011 X5 xDrive30d SE Platinum Grey 20" 336 alloys

phill

Tracker installation

Post by phill » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:16 pm

I don't have a tracker but have had alarms fitted on other cars and you need a certificate, think it is a VSIB, without a certificate whatever you have fitted it is worthless. From memory if they can give the certs they must have reached a certain level of competence and are audited periodically.

Phill

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
2003 SAAB 9-3t convertible 175bhp - current
2003 X5 4.6is - Now dead

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tracker installation

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:24 pm

The OEM (Trafficmaster Trackstar) system installed and it's not actually done by BMW but by an independant Authorised Installer. The installers insist that no one comes anywhere near the vehicle when the kit is being installed so that neither the Dealer nor end user knows where it is.

I used to run a fleet of 'special' vehicles when I worked for the UK Gov and we had Trackstar systems installed in all of them. We never knew where the kit was placed either.

Trackstar are very careful as to who they allow to do the work, and the only people who know where the devices are the installer and Trackstar. Tracker lost the BMW contract a while back, and we didn't consider their systems good enough a few years ago hence using the Trackstar systems.

One of my neighbours had his car pinched after his house was broken into and the keys nicked. Car was found 40 mins later in a lockup. A standard tactic to see if the car is 'protected' apparently. He had Trackstar too.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Tracker installation

Post by Sanj » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Had mine recently 'serviced' and I now know where it is. They didn't want to tell me but I advised I'd probably taken the car apart enough to know where it was and took and educated guess! ;)

Mine is a tracker device and has worked fine throughout, no issues (even asked them to test it).

They will install two types of tracker (same prices you got quoted) - heavily reduced for existing customers (more in keeping with your Trackerfit prices).

Do a bit more research to make sure they are OK to use/reputation/feedback etc.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds