Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UK Most stolen cars

BMPHIL

UK Most stolen cars

Post by BMPHIL » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:58 pm

X5 M50D
Space Grey
468M Alloys
Surround View
Harmon Kardon
Pano
Reversing camera
Sunglass
Digi Display
Comfort Seats

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: UK Most stolen cars

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Too many defeat devices available on line and instructions on how to use them.

Time to buy a new Stoplock perhaps?

How many get recovered though!  They have to be going somewhere and Eastern Europe / Africa were both major destinations and both have serious corruption issues making it far too easy to make these cars disappear.

BMW need to really sit up and pay attention, especially given how much these things cost.  Does no one want Audi’s then?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:03 am

Its not really the most stolen car though - as the article, (nor a similar one in that quality daily "The Sun") DOESN'T make clear. (https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/3241412 ... ks-target/)

This is a survey of cars fitted with trackers, (see Tracker Press release where they all got their story from http://www.tracker.co.uk/news/press-rel ... -recovere/).
Of those cars the X5 is the most "stolen and recovered".

So, these are not statistics from all cars, just those with trackers, and its not even the most stolen of those, but the most "stolen and recovered".
This is simply bad journalism.

This article
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/ ... c-security

gives a list of most stolen cars and, although it is a an older list (last year) the x5 comes 6th. If you compare this with the Tracker survey, the X5 came 2nd last year.

I'm not saying x5's don't get stolen - in fact they are clearly in the top 10, but I bet that when the next set of official figures come out you will see the Range Rovers (various models) continue to feature higher in the list than the X5.
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:15 pm

That makes a lot more sense, but they still shouldn’t be that easy to get into - unless owners are not checking the car has locked before walking away?

The appearance of jammers to knock out the common car key security channels means owners of any car with electronic locks MUST check the car has locked properly.  It is really easy to jam ALL keys and get away with it.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Yes, I always fold in my mirrors when locking, which means i need to press and hold for a bit. Presumably when i see them fold in that means the car is locked - as if a jammer was being used then it would jam the folding too?
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

silverbeemersurfer

Post by silverbeemersurfer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:18 pm

I have a cheap removable magnetic tracker, £39.00 job, hidden in my car which just needs charging every couple of months and it works a treat using Google maps.
Also got my local BMW Indi to fit a hidden master flick switch to the main fuel pump supply, only cost me £35.00. Don't use all the time but is quick to set when leaving my car, especially in the London area or airport car park for instance :)).

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:54 pm

[quote="silverbeemersurfer"]
I have a cheap removable magnetic tracker, £39.00 job, hidden in my car which just needs charging every couple of months and it works a treat using Google maps.
Also got my local BMW Indi to fit a hidden master flick switch to the main fuel pump supply, only cost me £35.00. Don't use all the time but is quick to set when leaving my car, especially in the London area or airport car park for instance :)).
[/quote]
Have you got a link for your tracker as I have been thinking about one for a while.
I don't need anything fancy.

silverbeemersurfer

Post by silverbeemersurfer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:19 am

As requested, here is the Ebay link for the tracker I have.
Regards

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-GPS-Track ... 1367083008

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:43 am

[quote="silverbeemersurfer"]
As requested, here is the Ebay link for the tracker I have.
Regards

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-GPS-Track ... 1367083008
[/quote]
Thanks for the link.
Will order one when I get home (In Egypt at the moment).