Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

F16 Rattling Tailgate

MarkP80

F16 Rattling Tailgate

Post by MarkP80 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi all,

I've got a really bad rattle coming from the tailgate of my 10 month old X6. I think it's been getting progressively worse to the point that it now gets on my nerves. It rattles, creaks, groans, all sorts of different noises.
My father-in-law commented on it and said his Vitara doesn't do that!

I've booked it in at the dealers to let them have a look at it, but in the meantime, I just wondered if anyone else had had any similar experiences.

Cheers,
MarkP

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: F16 Rattling Tailgate

Post by graemeX5 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi

I have not heard of a prob with the F16 X6 but some members with the earlier E53 X5's have had a prob where the rubber stop has perished and so the boot rattles, but that would be unlikely to happen with such a new car.

But it's worth checking the stops are there and not missing or loo,  see link below and item 6 on the diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=41_2409

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

MarkP80

Post by MarkP80 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks for the tip Graeme.
I'll have a good look at that at the weekend. It's not due to go in to the dealer until the beginning of November, the earliest they could lend me a car.

Thanks,
Mark

MarkP80

Post by MarkP80 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Well, it went into the dealer yesterday for them to have a look at the rattle. They had it for the day and told MrsP they had taken it apart and refitted it all, but I'm not  clear on what they actually did. Anyway, the result is that they've fixed the rattles/creaks and all is now good.
I'm convinced it was the tailgate itself not seating securely in the bodyshell, rather than a trim rattle, but the important thing is it's now fixed.

Cheers,
MarkP

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Could have been loose heatshields above the exhaust at the rear?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

MarkP80

Post by MarkP80 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:24 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Could have been loose heatshields above the exhaust at the rear?
[/quote]
- possibly, but I don't think so. It did sound like it was the tailgate itself in the frame, although it's difficult to tell. I did have MrsP in the back at one point but she couldn't identify the source, so I gave up in the end and booked it in. I was pleasantly surprised that they seem to have sorted it out - thank you Cooper Teesside

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:46 pm

I took a test drive in a X6 today and the boot creaked, the dealer said this was a known fault and was easily fixed by adjusting the latch.  Not sure if this similar to your experience, but sorted now anyway.

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Welcome back Don, long time no see..... :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

MarkP80

Post by MarkP80 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:10 am

[quote="Don Coffey"]
I took a test drive in a X6 today and the boot creaked, the dealer said this was a known fault and was easily fixed by adjusting the latch.  Not sure if this similar to your experience, but sorted now anyway.

Don
[/quote]
Hi Don,

I think mine must have developed into a really bad example over the first few months. It was more than just creaking, it definitely became maybe not a rattle, but sounding as if it wasn’t quite shut properly. Anyway, yes, they adjusted the latch, and it improved it massively. I wouldn’t say there’s no noise at all from it, but there is just the occasional creak. Certainly not enough for me to ask for it to be adjusted again though, it’s probably only because I’m now sensitive to it that I hear anything at all. It’s probably a tall order to prevent all noise resulting from flexing in such a big opening.
Anyway, I’m certainly happy that the adjustment has sorted it out. And I see I originally posted this about a year ago, and I can confirm that the noise hasn’t returned, so again, I’m happy with that.

Cheers,
MarkP

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:45 am

Hi Don,
Thinking about rejoining the BMW fold again ?
Welcome back.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:20 pm

[quote="lezmtaylor"]
Hi Don,
Thinking about rejoining the BMW fold again ?
Welcome back.

Lez
[/quote]

I just can’t help myself!! Picking up an X6 in the near future.  ;)