Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Number plates

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Tunni123

Number plates

Post by Tunni123 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi everyone.
Just a quick question.
Was wondering if anyone has got 3D raised carbon fibre number plates or just 3D and what there opinions are on them ?  :D

Tunni
Last edited by Tunni123 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Number plates

Post by Horizon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:23 pm

[quote="Tunni123"]
Hi everyone.
Just a quick question.
Was wondering if anyone has got 3D raised carbon fibre number plates or just 3D and what there opinions are on them ?  :D

Tunni
[/quote]
Are the 3 D plates legal ? There are dozens of number plate options that may pass the MOT but the police can still take as illegal.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:15 am

Never be afraid to challenge the Police, they are quite often wrong, ask what section of the Traffic acts are they quoting etc.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:27 am

X5sport is your man to ask but I'm sure there illegall
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 pm

From the .gov website: https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-pl ... ber-plates

2. Rules for number plates
Your number plates should:
be made from a reflective material
display black characters on a white background (front plate)
display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
not have a background pattern
Characters on a number plate can be 3D.

There you go...

Graeme

Tunni123

Post by Tunni123 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks for the reply, think I'd just keep spares in the boot incase police have a problem with them  :)).
Going to order some the weekend so will put some pictures up once there on  :)
Hopefully they look good!!

Tunni

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:59 pm

The MOT Manual Sec 6.3 details the font and construction to be used from 2001....I would be more concerned with the spacing than anything else.  The Police may comment but the VOSA/DVSA Inspectors can both demand removal and have a cherished plate taken away, and they can also pull you over too.

6.3 – page 5

Registration Plates – Additional Information

Older style registrations must meet the registration plate requirements according to the date of first registration of the vehicle, with a format style similar to that illustrated below e.g. letters on one line, figures on another, or a larger space between the two groups of characters.

Testers are not required to physically measure the characters or their spacing and the following information is provided for guidance only. Registration plates should only be rejected for character dimensions or spacing if they are clearly incorrect

Larger plates may be fitted to some vehicles registered before 1 September 2001 with characters 89mm high and other relevant dimensions that are subsequently larger.

These are not age related and usually consist of three letters followed by four numbers. They must conform to the same standards as other UK registration plates, depending on the date of first registration. This includes the optional display of the distinguishing sign of the UK.

Imported vehicles whose construction/design cannot accommodate standard size number plates are permitted to display registration plates with smaller characters, in line with those for tricycles and quadricycles detailed in the table. Their margins and vertical space between groups may also be reduced to 5mm.

Borders

Registration plates can optionally display a non-reflective border with a maximum width of 6mm and not closer than 5mm to the characters.
Last edited by X5Sport on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Marrow

Post by Marrow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Ran them for nearly 3 years passed mot very year and never been pulled

Spandex

Post by Spandex » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:20 am

The MOT is irrelevant. It tests a subset of the regulations so passing it doesn’t really tell you that everything on your car is legal - it just tells you the bits they tested were legal at the time. As demonstrated above, they check very little to do with plates.

The specification for number plates is described in BS AU145d and contains a load of stuff about durability, etc, but as a buyer all you really need to do is ensure you’re buying from a manufacturer that is registered with the DVLA (you can look this up online) and ensure that the plate has BS AU145d written on it (along with the other required text identifying the manufacturer) to confirm its compliance.

BUT, this won’t necessarily save you from being pulled and it won’t even save you from a trip to court, because some officers are generally suspicious of anything outside the norm. There was a case late last year, detailed on pepipoo.com, where a driver ended up in court because he had raised metal plates, despite them meeting all the requirements I mention above. He won the case, but I imagine it was a stressful few months and if it had been me I’d now be questioning whether it was all worth it just to have slightly different looking number plates.

Marrow

Post by Marrow » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:39 am

Ha ha I have metal pressed plates on my M3 too I am such a bad boy  :))

Again run them for a very long time and had them on my RS4 previous so must be about 8 years now same reg same plates no issues.

You make your choice and the risks I suppose.

Spandex

Post by Spandex » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:39 pm

[quote="Marrow"]
Ha ha I have metal pressed plates on my M3 too I am such a bad boy  :))
[/quote]
Pressed metal plates aren’t (necessarily) illegal. That’s the point. The problem is that some police officers aren’t aware of that so you could find yourself wasting a lot of time and effort proving yours are legal in court.

The risks are more about getting stopped for something else, then them spotting the plates while they’re going round the car looking for problems. I doubt they’d stop someone just to take a closer look at what someones plates are made of.