Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E70 snow chains on front or back wheels?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
aj

E70 snow chains on front or back wheels?

Post by aj » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi,
Can anyone advise if snow chains should be fitted to the front OR rear wheels?
it seems logical to me to fit them on the front so you have control over steering the car! but bmw docs seem to suggest these should be on the rear wheels!!
your experience on using snow chains would be appreciated.
I've today purchased a set of 18" wheels with snow tyres so am part way there. thank you.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Re: E70 snow chains on front or back wheels?

Post by AW8 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:34 pm

Makes star rated tyres & damage to transfer box concerns a bit of a mockery.....all things considered.

I would not want them fitted unless extreme pure snow environment.....but would fit to both axles or leave off.

Not speaking from experience using same....never used them on any vehicle I including 4 wheel drive models.
Last edited by AW8 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:29 am

I too saw the conflicting advice on front re rear, but since having snow tyres, I have never needed them though, even in the deepest snow or ice mountains / roads.

I have the clip-on snow chains which you can fit in a couple of minutes, so I would suggest that if you do fit them, to remove them as soon as possible to avoid damage to the transfer boxes.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

aj

Post by aj » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:22 pm

thanks for the feedback AW8 & PVR.

my previous X5 (55 plate) did not have winter tyres and we had a difficult time in the French alps, hence my decision to purchase spare wheels with winter tyres this time round!. At that time we had no option but to buy very expensive snow chains in the alps.................. the French saw us coming!

This time we have a 2012 plate E70, now with 18" wheels and snow tyres, but if snow chains are required, I'm still not sure if they should be fitted on the rear (as BMW Advise) OR on the front wheels, which would seem more logical to me - so we can steer the car!

So if anyone else has any direct experience/knowledge on this issue that would be most appreciated, thanks. aj.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 pm

In the case of the X5, it doesn’t matter whether front or back, as long as they are fitted to the driven axle
Taken into account a 60 40 split (I’m sure that’s what the E70 is ) the chain could be fitted to either axle but I get what your saying about the steering benefits.

My preference would be not to fit them at all, though if I had to, I’d fit to the rear, so if they came flying off they’d be thrown rearwards

The arguement is more pertinent with 2wd where they have to be installed on the drive axle.

I don’t run winter tyre set up, if it’s that bad I’ll stay indoors, so please ignore my statements!