Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 - towing capacity increase

Mike200

X5 - towing capacity increase

Post by Mike200 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:23 pm

I have searched for information on the BMW X5 option of 'towing capacity increased', which appears to be standard when the electrically deployed tow bar is selected as a factory option.

I am going to test drive a 2017 X5 tomorrow that has the factory towbar option and would like to know what changes the car has with the 'towing capacity increase' added.

The dealer salesman answered with 'its so you can tow a caravan with more than 2 wheels'. Basically he does not know and can't be bothered to check.

Any further information on the changes appreciated.

IanP

Re: X5 - towing capacity increase

Post by IanP » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Upgraded cooling system I think.

Mike200

Post by Mike200 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks. That has been suggested on another forum, along with the addition of self levelling suspension.

Nothing definitive though.

Even the BMW Genius failed with the online chat. They then had a survey asking if I was satisfied  :wall:

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:28 pm

I think that the only thing that is upgraded for towing is a larger cooling fan - but how you know what the larger fan looks like compaired to a normal fan would be difficult. I think that the self levelling suspension is standard. With a factory fit towbar the wiring for the 13 pin socket should disable the reversing sensors so  when you select reverse with a caravan on the back they do not beep all the time.
You need to check that the 13 pin socket on the car is wired to run the caravan fridge, as BMW often do not do this.
x6 M50d

silverbeemersurfer

Post by silverbeemersurfer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Suggest you get the VIN from the dealer and look it up on the internet at: www.bimmer.work. That should help.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Increased power electric cooling fan, additional radiator behind front bumper, self-levelling air fitted as standard rather than option.  Takes you from 2.7T (I think) to 3.5T max.

If towing a caravan you will find two connections are never installed by BMW - and they don’t tell unless asked!  The fridge circuit isn’t there, nor the 12V charging circuit for the van.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:00 pm

So if the 12 volt fridge connection has NOT been made, get them to fix BEFORE taking delivery of car , or get it in writing they will sort it.
They can have a habit of forgetting.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Mike200

Post by Mike200 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Deposit paid and pick up in a week or so.

allforus

Post by allforus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi good look with the car as far as I remember the air suspension only comes with the third row seats and if you have the factory fit tow bar then the radiator cooling etc. Comes as standard and if the dealer is a little lapse then you can push for the fridge wiring to be done as you didn’t tell me it wouldn’t run my fridge other wise the cost is around £250 for retro fit
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d

ASL1956

Post by ASL1956 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:39 pm

You'll have no problem.  I pull a Swift Challenger 630 twin axle with mine and no problems at all.  Never gets hot and pulls like a train.  I bought an ex-demo so no bar fitted so put a Westfalia on from PF Jones with BMW wiring harness that gives 12v charging and fridge supply that BMW leave off.  All I have done is code the tow hitch zoom feature (using Bimmercode).  Enjoy the 2018 season with the van.