Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW 7 Series nicked in under 60 seconds

General off-topic chat.
gs223

BMW 7 Series nicked in under 60 seconds

Post by gs223 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 am

X3 2004 3.0i SE

Reusch

Re: BMW 7 Series nicked in under 60 seconds

Post by Reusch » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:19 am

:o
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:17 am

Keep your keyless entry keys inside RFID protection bags when they are not actually being used with the car.  These bags are miniature Faraday Cages and prevent the radio signals being harvested and used.

Never leave one of those keys downstairs or anywhere near the car (such as a bedroom overlooking the car).  All this system does is detect and boost the signals from the key so that the car thinks it is in the car or with the person opening the door.

I have noticed that cars fitted with keyless systems do not shut down again if the key isn’t present or disappears - presumably in case it is a key battery fault whilst in use - although starting it again is prevented.

All car manufacturers need to take a long hard look at these systems as currently they are simply not good enough.  Personally I would not choose the option if offered, but many models are now including keyless entry/starting as standard.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Sky Bear

Post by Sky Bear » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:37 am

it is indeed the fact that you can not avoid it these days as it is becoming standard fit.
5.0L E53 owner who has a child like grin when driving. Hobbies include visiting lots of petrol stations. :drive:

IanP

Post by IanP » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:26 am

Im still not sure why you need keyless starting? Where do you put the fob?

Slightly off the subject, a friend runs a motorcycle repair business, and he had Harley Davidson in for some work. Pickup time came and the mechanic started the bike for the owner who then rode off into the sunset.
An hour later came a phone call from said owner who was stranded at a service station because the bike would not start. It too had keyless starting, but this time the mechanic had the fob in his pocket so the bike started OK at the shop and could be ridden but wouldnt start again when he stopped for petrol.
I know in cars there is a warning about being out of fob range but presumably the Harley didnt have this or it couldnt be seen for vibration....
Still think its a solution to a question that was never asked

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:15 am

[quote="X5Sport"]
Keep your keyless entry keys inside RFID protection bags when they are not actually being used with the car.  These bags are miniature Faraday Cages and prevent the radio signals being harvested and used.

Never leave one of those keys downstairs or anywhere near the car (such as a bedroom overlooking the car).  All this system does is detect and boost the signals from the key so that the car thinks it is in the car or with the person opening the door.

I have noticed that cars fitted with keyless systems do not shut down again if the key isn’t present or disappears - presumably in case it is a key battery fault whilst in use - although starting it again is prevented.

All car manufacturers need to take a long hard look at these systems as currently they are simply not good enough.  Personally I would not choose the option if offered, but many models are now including keyless entry/starting as standard.
[/quote]

I've just ordered a two pack of RFID pouches from Amazon for £8.99, my Kia has keyless entry and I was wondering how to overcome this problem ( Thanks X5Sport for the info )
I was concerned when we were miles from home in the touring caravan, sleeping 3 yards away from the car and finding it gone in the morning with no way of getting home
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:34 am

I specifically ordered the new M without that, I really can't see the point or benefit of it.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:13 pm

I know I may be sounding facetious, but if I was buying a car fitted with these systems I would require the supplying dealer to :
1.  Supply as many RFID pouches as number of key sets.

2. Supply a steering lock.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

gs223

Post by gs223 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:19 am

Do these RFID pouches actually work?
X3 2004 3.0i SE

RichM50d

Post by RichM50d » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:59 am

[quote="pvr"]
I specifically ordered the new M without that, I really can't see the point or benefit of it.
[/quote]

Correct me if I’m wrong, but as our cars don’t need the use of a physical “key” to open and start, our cars are also on the at risk list.

IanP

Post by IanP » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 am

[quote="gs223"]
[/quote]

A friend has one for his RS Ford, and the car will not open the doors or start when the key is in the pouch.  As part of an anti theft thing, a police friend was touring the local dealers to persuade them to give away RFID pouuches with a new car purchase.

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Not sure if this is correct as I do not have Carly but I was reading some of the things that Carly can do and one of them was to disable the comfort access.
If this is correct it would put a lot of minds at rest.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:09 pm

[quote="IanP"]
[quote="gs223"]
[/quote]

A friend has one for his RS Ford, and the car will not open the doors or start when the key is in the pouch.  As part of an anti theft thing, a police friend was touring the local dealers to persuade them to give away RFID pouuches with a new car purchase.
[/quote]

I received my pouches the other day and tested them by having the keys in the pouch and walking up to the car, it wouldn't open. £9 off Amazon for two pouches
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

amacman

Post by amacman » Sat May 05, 2018 9:44 pm

[quote="Nictrix"]
Not sure if this is correct as I do not have Carly but I was reading some of the things that Carly can do and one of them was to disable the comfort access.
If this is correct it would put a lot of minds at rest.
[/quote]

The comfort access can be disabled using Rheingold and as you say it is probably possible to do using Carly .

Just means you need to press a button on the fob to open and lock the old fashioned way .
RFID shield or tin still recommended .
Last edited by amacman on Sun May 06, 2018 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.