Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to spend a fun Saturday......

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

How to spend a fun Saturday......

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Been at Sytner TW since 930am.....just a quick MOT I thought, plus a brake fluid and oil service. Away by 11ish I thought........

Luckily I brought laptop and ipad with ......... they decided to do the recall check (which they had previously said they had done and car did not need new propshaft ) and are changing the prop shaft........fortunately there was one in stock.
Laptop now more or less run out of charge and I forgot to bring the charger, so having to survive on ipad and phone now.  Sign.  Although pleased they are replacing the Propshaft.
So much for “value” servicing though, the MOT, oil service and brake fluid change are around £500
Last edited by CondorX5 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How to spend a fun Saturday......

Post by pvr » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Don't forget to ask for the 10% discount, I just had the identical work done though for the E70 and that was £340 in the end (MOT, Oil Service, Brake fluid and micro filter).

Propshaft recall for me was in January though.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:55 pm

I wonder if there is an issue with previously changed ones, or those checked and found OK at a previous check but that are now showing signs of trouble.

Mine was done very early in the ‘quality enhancement’ so I wonder if it needs revisiting.  I have only done about 36k from new but will get them to have another look when the tyres are swapped over again - assuming it does actually stop snowing!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:22 pm

It could never be simple with a BMW main dealer.........after nearly 4hours waiting (BMW did send out for some lunch for me at least) they decided they needed a different part and could only get it on Monday, so they gave me their new X3 to take home and on a long trip to Wales on Monday. 

I did quiz them about the recall and from the bemused reaction I got, I don’t think they really checked it properly the first time, when they claimed they had done. No record of it, apparently (strange) and I believe from the tech ths time that there is “a lot of movement” so it must be changed before disaster strikes..........well ok, but why not do it the first time, they get paid to do it by BMW its not like they suffer in any way!

And after getting the usual video showing decent amounts still on brake pads etc, I get a last minute by the way, it wasn’t “immediately obvious” but one of the pads had worn down to metal (checked while they were doing the MOT) and had to be changed instantly along with the discs.  Sigh.  :( not like thats somethng I ever want main dealers to do but am over a barrel with this one so will just go with it this time.  :( :(

The X3 is ok, not exciting enough to want one, but its quite nice.  Better than a one series loaner, at least.  I miss my comfort seats and electric everything, but the new idrive on the X3 is very nice to use.

Roll on Monday, at least the car will have a shiny new propshaft join the slightly less shiny transfer box which was replaced under warranty last year.  Thank heavens for the warranty generally but sadly doesn’t cover the servicing stuff this time round and the recall is free anyway.
Today they spoke about the issues being a “recall” rather than quality enhancement and kept talking about all the dire consequences, so why on earth have owners not had official notification when the cars in the main dealer network still?    Grrr.  I smell a rat. Or incompetence.  Or worse.
Last edited by CondorX5 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi

Sorry to about all the headaches today with the propshaft especially as it had been checked previousl, as X5Sport said he is thinking about hgetting his rechecked and it does raises a question or two about the check.

However better safe than sorry as from memory there we pics from a member on here who had his propshaft go and it also took out the bottom of the engine which is a nightmare.

It amazing that what starts out as a simple MoT and service seems to grow. :o

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

touring

Post by touring » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Can I ask about PVR’s reference to 10% discount ?
Is this available for a f15 service?
Mark

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Cars older than 5years usually qualify for the “Value” servicing offer, so early F15s should qualify now. 

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:50 pm

[quote="touring"]
Can I ask about PVR’s reference to 10% discount ?
Is this available for a f15 service?
[/quote]

BMW GB membership gives an additional 10% discount on parts and services. Even if you are not a member, they generally give that discount anyway (on top of the "value" servicing costs).

911 50th anniversary -

touring

Post by touring » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Thanks for that, my f15 is too new then.
While I have had e53, e70, X4 and f15, I have always had the 5 year service pack but this was no longer available for the f15, so this in effect is the first time I will have to pay for a service.
Mark

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:00 pm

If you become a bmw gb member, the 10% discount will help.

I had the service plan on my E70, but on the F85 it was going to be £999 which would only cover 1 service as well (+ running in service).

Not worth it in other words.

911 50th anniversary -

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Has their ‘X’ cars forum improved?  It was almost dead when I decided the membership fee wasn’t worth it 10 years ago.  I get more parts discount from my local Dealer anyway.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:24 pm

What forum?  :))

I "may" have let my membership expire a few years back but the note is still on the dealer's system  :whistle:

911 50th anniversary -

asoni

Post by asoni » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Out of interest, does this prop shaft issue effect the 40d’s made in 2010? According to bmw mine doesn’t have any outstanding recalls but after reading the above, I might get checked assuming my car is part of the dodgy batch.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Yes it does.  I think late 2010 onwards.  Mine was built in October and needed doing.

There was a post on here back much nearer that time that quoted the VIN ranges of the affected E70/71 cars.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:10 pm

my local dealer doesn't even give god a discount.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone