Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tri-turbo X5 40d?

General car related chat
snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tri-turbo X5 40d?

Post by snipez999 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 am

Did I not read this new lump is due out in early 2012? Missus has a Q7 S Line 30d and is due to change next May. She loves he X5 so would be nice (for me too I think!) if the new lump were out by then too - anyone know?

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tri-turbo X5 40d?

Post by Rusty » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Did it not state that the 3rd turbo is for the diesel tanker following behind?

Sent from my iPod device using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tri-turbo X5 40d?

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 pm

Rumours and speculation were certainly rife a couple of years ago, but never more than that (so far at least) and when you look at the performance of the 40d twin-turbo, it's hard to see why it would be needed. Even at 300+ bhp it still has some growing room, but it might be pushing too far for the current 6-cyl unit to have three turbo's.

I was trying to work out the configuration as the plumbing to get three to play nicely might be easier said than done in practice. I suppose they could use the twin-scroll setup for the pair and a conventional smaller, or larger, turbo depending upon running order onto manifolds. The two turbos on the 40d is quite an arrangement with the airflow being directed in different directions depending upon engine speed and throttle demand. Control of inlet and exhaust pressures to keep the through flow going without harmonic pressure standing waves in the system would be kind of interesting on a three way set up.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.