Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Updating the iDrive bluetooth software without USB audio

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
Chrispy

Post by Chrispy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:33 am

Hi all,

On the wife's X1 (2011 plate 20d XDrive auto) the bluetooth is clearly a dated version and as such doesn't play nicely with our phones (iPhone 7 and Galaxy 7) with weird phone book listings and no track information for bluetooth audio.

I updated mine myself in the E70 with a download from the BMW site and a FAT32 formatted USB stick to fix the same issues, however there's no USB audio in the X1 and the site says downloads are not available for this car.  There is however a USB port in the glove box but I think for importing music only.

How else can this be achieved?  Dealer only?

Thanks,

Chris.
Black 2012 E70 3.0 XDrive M Sport.  7 seats, & tiny 19" wheels.....

Cliveost

Post by Cliveost » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:52 pm

Hi
The Usb in the glove box is for updating the system, updating the sat nav and transferring music to the built in hard drive

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:19 pm

As above…..but BMW have stopped supporting a lot of Bluetooth versions now, especially on older models and they’ve gone from the BMW Owners areas on line. :x

If there is a revised version available then it may be a dealer only option. I can’t use an iPhone 12 with my X6 or E46. There are no recent updates from BMW and Apple told me it was BMWs issue to resolve as the phone supports the right version of Bluetooth.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Cliveost

Post by Cliveost » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:58 pm

My iPhone 12 Pro works perfectly on my 2010 x1. I have no problem listening to music and making calls via Bluetooth

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:35 pm

Interesting. When I checked BMW on line it tells me that my X6 is not supported for the iPhone 12, with ‘supported models’ stopping at the iphoneX. I wonder what’s different between them? We have an iPhone 11 & 12 and neither will pair. Fine on USB though. :wink:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Cliveost

Post by Cliveost » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:08 pm

Tbh I never even checked when I got my new phone I just paired it. My Mrs has an iPhone 12 and uses it in her Mini Countryman and my x1 via Bluetooth