Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW e70 2008 front suspension replace help

How-To articles go here.
majordamage069

BMW e70 2008 front suspension replace help

Post by majordamage069 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi guys, on a budget as the wife been ill all year with that bad stuff. i'm going to attempt to replace front suspension lower control arms this weekend. doing outside side house and have basic tools.
I have done this on previous cars but bit daunting as first bimmer. could you guys confirm 18 and 23 mm 12 point sockets needed and any other tips to do it.
my car has active steering if that makes any difference.
many thanks :cry:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BMW e70 2008 front suspension replace help

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Have you had a look at newtis.info as it should give you instructions as well as tool tips plus any special tools or procedures that you might need to be mindful of?

It will also give you the bolt/nut sizes with torque settings, as well as flag any ‘single use’ bolts in use.

The website is a copy of the BMW technical instructions for many models.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

majordamage069

Post by majordamage069 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:46 pm

nooooooo..........
come in house to cry ....
done left front thrust and lower control arm after bending into positions my body doesn't normally allow . come to do right side and guess what happened my locking nut has sheared off just as it started raining.
now onto ebay do i order more locking nuts or just standard.
so what's the easiest way to remove locking wheel nut with no cap? last time car had tyres off was at kwik fit so air gun over tightened. :headbang:
:headbang:

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:59 am

Depends on whether it has sheared in the thread or is any sitting flush or just proud of the hub. If possible try welding a nut onto the stub, the heating will also help break it free.