Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre Wear G01

All X3 (G01) discussions go here.
Stinky

Re: Tyre Wear G01

Post by Stinky » Sat May 08, 2021 12:45 pm

As I 've mentioned in other posts the 1st set of Alenzas wore away dramatically on the shoulders....after re-alignment (needed doing???) the 2nd set of Alenzas wore evenly but like I mentioned in my response to you I get nothing like the mileage reported about the photographed set of 14800 miles. The Pirelli's are again wearing evenly but due to COVID they are not yet subject to much use...my Alenza's both sets changed at 23000klm...or circa 14300 miles but much needed and not much left on them like the 14800 miles in the photo with a good few miles left on them...maybe another 4000 miles??? BMW changed their recommendation to Pirelli and all new X3's in the showroom were Pirelli when I last changed in January 2021.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 08, 2021 1:12 pm

My X6 only gets around 14,000 miles a set, though the OEM Dunlop’s (SP SportMaxx) were much worse. The second set were Bridgestone and did better. I now have Continental ContactSport 5’s fitted. Pirelli winter tyres are fine.

Our xDrive 220d Gran Tourer got about 18,000 miles on its OEM Michelin tyres and has been shod with the PilotSport 4 RFT. They’re down to about 4mm after 15,000 miles.

I’m not sure if the G-series still have the tyre sensitivity of earlier models that had to be fitted with ‘*’ marked tyres (MO or MOE are now an option) in order to avoid risks of broken transmissions.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Zippy99

Post by Zippy99 » Sat May 08, 2021 5:17 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies

Zippy99

Post by Zippy99 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:08 pm

Oh well, I bit the bullet, got the tyres changed and because Kwik Fits tyre price and promotion code for the Pirelli’s was so good price wise (as it happens it’s even better this week and would have saved me a further £30 on four tyres, if I only I could have seen into the future and as I found out further, I could have saved a little bit more on top, if I’d used a cash back site - hindsight is a great thing to have).
Anyway I took advantage of their free Hunter wheel alignment check and took an instant dislike to the price offered for the adjustment and then booked it in at another garage for another Hunter wheel alignment check and adjustment. All four wheels were out, I saw that at Kwik fit, the second garage only confirmed it and since the adjustment and new tyres, no more following the road camber and tramlines in the road and to say it feels a totally different car to drive is an under statement! As a side note, I was chatting to the technician carrying out the adjustments as he was doing it, who just also happens to be an MOT tester as well , he didn’t inspire with confidence that my car would stay this way for long as he said every BMW that he sees always requires adjustment….

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 21, 2021 11:00 pm

It’s fair to say that these heavy cars do need adjustment at every tyre change in my experience. It doesn’t say a lot for BMWs design really! I have also never had a car that seems to be so bad, although a large proportion of that is our crap roads!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.