Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 F15 - Rear Air Suspension Issue

Spudney_Blue

Post by Spudney_Blue » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi

I have a 2014 x5 F15 3.0D xDrive (RHD), I have a strange issue where by intermittently both rear air bags at same time will deflate while driving (then the bumps start) and i have to pull over leave the car for say 10 minutes locked then open the drivers door again and then the air bags of the car will lift up rear end again, any one any ideas, there doesn't seem to be a leak as last night it happened, i left it a while opened the drivers door and then the car rose again and has held to this morning so the lines, air springs/bags, compressor etc must be ok no leaks, it seems like it could be the Air Suspension Relay or could the Air Suspension Compressor Valve be bad

Please help!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X5 F15 - Rear Air Suspension Issue

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Have you had the error code log read out to see what might have been stored? Not everything brings a warning light on. Don’t use a generic code reader as the codes they produce a very hard to get correctly interpreted. Bosch Autocentres or Main Dealers are you best option for diagnostics. You don’t have to let them to do the repairs - if any are required.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Spudney_Blue

Post by Spudney_Blue » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:57 am

Thanks X5Sport

Just an update

I replaced the 40A fuse for the Air Suspension compressor in the boot (right hand side) and reset all faults with my Carista app and dongle, the problem hasn't manifested itself again, I have a BMW main dealer diagnostic booked in for Wednesday morning, will they be able to see anything if the problem doesn't come back since i reset faults through Carista, is it worth getting diagnostic done?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:56 pm

If it’s all behaving, then probably not. If your tool is picking up errors and successfully resetting everything then job done..... :D BMW probably won’t find a fault now and won’t therefore be of any help unless it recurs.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Spudney_Blue

Post by Spudney_Blue » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 pm

OK thanks X5Sport

ill cancel diagnostic and cross my fingers, thanks again for ur help

Spudney_Blue

Post by Spudney_Blue » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Just another update

The problem reoccurred on Sunday morning so i brought it to BMW the next day and they diagnosed it as a faulty air compressor pump unit which costs €1200

Mechanic said it wasn't blowing enough air to inflated the air springs, air flow was restricted somehow (possibly desiccant filter or solenoid valve mentioned below)

So total cost of repair is €1450 (2 hrs labor + replacement pump + Diagnostic)

----------------------------------------------------

I know you can buy pump cheaper from the below link (exact same brand as the BMW one) but I just don't have time to wait (wife's 7 seater for work/kids run etc...) and get it shipped and fitted by inde mechanic

http://www.air-suspension-shop.com/BMW- ... 7206875177

it may also be only the solenoid valve on the compressor unit itself (BMW only supply the compressor and solenoid as one part which is not fair/right!!)
http://www.air-suspension-shop.com/BMW- ... uspension-

or clogged desiccant filter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUDDH3mtjr8

Who knows :(

I hope this helps someone else

Thanks

Spudney_Blue

Post by Spudney_Blue » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Update

So Air Compressor pump was replaced by BMW and all is fixed.

Bch06

Post by Bch06 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum, Thank you all for the information I have received from here.

I have an X5 2014 f15 which is showing me an error “chassis function restricted” so I have done the following.

1-Both air bags have been replaced previously 3 months ago when the car dropped down to the ground level.

Recently the car has lifted itself from rear quite high so I did a test on ISTA D which showed me “front left vertical acceleration sensor” so I changed that

Now the chassis function restricted error is still there

I have also used the soapy water to check if the solenoid valve has any leak, however there is no leak.

So I removed the fault codes, and went on a ride however the error came back so this time it’s showing me a different code which is 480DB4 “control time rear left”

NOTE: The car doesn’t deflate with the ista D I have to deflate it manually by disconnecting the air pipes which goes to the Air spring, and also doesn’t inflate when I switch on the car, so I inflated with the ista D and it works.

So my question is do I need to change the air compressor? Or it might be something else? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Walshy5050

Post by Walshy5050 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:16 am

Hi did yiu ever resolve this issue I have tge same problem high suspentio both rear bags have been replaced both rear hight level sensors. But still same fault I'm thinking of changing tge compressor now

Thanks