Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Penultimate project finally done.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Penultimate project finally done.

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:59 pm

Though not without hassle :x
20190918_181547.jpg
20190918_181547.jpg (161.33 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
From day one the coarse leather and 'shiny bit' on the regular sport steering wheel irritated me, it had to go. Enter the M Sport version with lovely nappa leather and the little M badge.

Now I was aware the paddle shifters had to be changed SSG / SMG. So battery unhooked, make a cuppa and drink, then set to work. A bit fiddly but no drama. All refitted, battery back on fired up, steering wheel l>r then r>l twice, dash lights cleared 8)

I put the battery cover back, all my kit back in the boot and went driving.

Hassle immediately ensued as the paddles didn't function and moving the gearstick over to sport, it literally sprang back against my hand, so no sport functions at all :o

SO, I was aware the right side m/f switch had different markings to my originals and the removed paddle connections had three pins on the m/f switches, the SMG paddles themselves only two but i reasoned that my three pin SSG paddles to the 'new' three pins m/f switches would be OK. WRONG!

Take it all apart again fit my original m/f switches, (which the paddles connect thru and is a pain to do imo) and all was good. I took note of the m/f switches part numbers and all matched, so I'm guessing the loom inside the steering wheel to the m/f switch panels differs in some way. Another lesson learned, or endorsed, that assumption can lead to the mother of all FUs.

Am I happy, you bet :thumbsup: :) Am I tired and seeking a beer? Got one :thumbsup:
Last edited by sapphireblack on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Penultimate project finally done.

Post by graemeX5 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:07 am

Hi
That's a nice mod with a good write up fir others and well done :thumbsup: