Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 HESSITATION ON ACCELERATION

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
evo1

X5 HESSITATION ON ACCELERATION

Post by evo1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi Guys

New to this forum and looking for some help, I have a 2010 X5 E70 3.0D and it's just developed an unusual fault which may or may not be a known problem. What I'm getting is a delayed acceleration for about 3/4 seconds before the car picks up speed. Had 2 main dealers say different things, one saying DPF at end of life and requiring replacement and other simply guessing at inlet carbon, investigate turbo bla bla, in effect main dealers are clueless and they both conveniently ignored fault codes for all 6 glow plugs and transfer case oil wear.
Took it to a good indy and had DPF, glow plugs, glow plug relay, transfer case oil and fuel filter replaced, no error codes now but still have the bloomin issue, does anyone know what might be the problem and what else to check

marti

Re: X5 HESSITATION ON ACCELERATION

Post by marti » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Throttle body....take off the big pipe to the throttle body, ...inside you'll see the butterfly flap...unplug the actuator, now with you finger push the flap it should have very little resistance if any at all and flap back once released...if it doesnt or its very stiff...there's your problem.

evo1

Post by evo1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:10 pm

car is back with indy and will get them to check the throttle body, they did mention that it could be EGR but not totally certain until further tests in the morning, the other thing is I'm getting a smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin all of a sudden, never had that until I collected the car this morning from them and apparently a bad gasket seal between newly DPF and manifold?????, any further advice would be appreciated on acceleration issue, I do find it gobsmacking how some so called trained mechanics are bloomin clueless, apart from just attaching a computer where has the good old fashioned common sense testing/checking gone like the good old days :headbang:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:48 pm

Working from first principles just isn’t trained any longer, nor apparently from your experience, basic quality checks! :x

The throttle body sounds reasonable. If it isn’t opening correctly then the air will be restricted and the turbo unable to deliver boost.

It could also be a failed hose or hose seal/clamp.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

evo1

Post by evo1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:29 pm

update, after fitting a new EGR still got the hesitation issue, weird thing is that with the vacuum tube disconnected from the EGR the hesitation disappears and car runs fine, the throttle body flap/butterfly seems fine, totally flummoxed and it's starting to piss me off now, think I may the set light to the car soon :fuelfire:

marti

Post by marti » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:38 pm

MAP sensor...the one in the intake manifold...drop it off to me I'll sort it.. :wink:

evo1

Post by evo1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:37 pm

marti wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:38 pm MAP sensor...the one in the intake manifold...drop it off to me I'll sort it.. :wink:
Didn't really want to get my hands dirty, but decided to take the intake manifold off today and fit a new Pierburg Pressure Converter as I'm told that could be the problem, so got a new EGR and now pressure converter, was almost tempted to delete the swirl flaps whilst manifold off, but couldn't be be arsed, might as well have done all the blooming work myself at this rate, I just cant believe how inept some garages are in diagnosing problems, how the hell do they do any honest business, road testing car tomorrow, fingers crossed

evo1

Post by evo1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:02 pm

problem sorted and car now runs absolutely spot on, for anyone experiencing the same problem with revs getting stuck at around 2000 and feeling like the turbo not spooling up for several seconds and then kicking in, it will be the Pierburg Pressure Converter (Euro car part number 424110550) five minute job to replace, after actually having to remove the bloomin intake manifold first to get to it, really cant understand why manufactures don't fit these sort of parts more accessible, there is absolutely no reason why this part couldn't have been fitted on inner wings/bodywork or certainly somewhere where it's directly accesable :headbang:

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:07 pm

How are the poor manufacturers going to make any money if they make things easy to fix. Every Tom Dick and Harry would be fixing their own cars and we can’t have that??

marti

Post by marti » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:11 pm

evo1 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:02 pm problem sorted and car now runs absolutely spot on, for anyone experiencing the same problem with revs getting stuck at around 2000 and feeling like the turbo not spooling up for several seconds and then kicking in, it will be the Pierburg Pressure Converter (Euro car part number 424110550) five minute job to replace, after actually having to remove the bloomin intake manifold first to get to it, really cant understand why manufactures don't fit these sort of parts more accessible, there is absolutely no reason why this part couldn't have been fitted on inner wings/bodywork or certainly somewhere where it's directly accesable :headbang:
Excellent news, had to change mine a while ago but did the MAP first.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 pm

The pressure converter is for the egr then is that correct and was holding the egr open ?

evo1

Post by evo1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 pm

henrym3 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:07 pm How are the poor manufacturers going to make any money if they make things easy to fix. Every Tom Dick and Harry would be fixing their own cars and we can’t have that??
my heart bleeds for them :wink:

evo1

Post by evo1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:43 pm

Leslie wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 pm The pressure converter is for the egr then is that correct and was holding the egr open ?
that's far too technical for me, the pressure converter has a vacuum pipe that does connect to the EGR so does operate in conjunction with the EGR somehow

Stuart Phillips

Post by Stuart Phillips » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:02 am

evo whilst this was happening did it feel like a shuddering/vibration through the whole car and at around 50 mph?

marti

Post by marti » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:50 am

Stuart Phillips wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:02 am evo whilst this was happening did it feel like a shuddering/vibration through the whole car and at around 50 mph?
That sounds more like wheels need balancing.