Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Has social distancing affected the forum

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
touring

Has social distancing affected the forum

Post by touring » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:49 pm

It is noticeable how few posts there are on the forum, has everyone taken social distancing to a new level. I would have thought this is the time for high levels of forum traffic :fuelfire:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Has social distancing affected the forum

Post by X5Sport » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:59 pm

I’m surprised how quiet it is too, but then there has been a steady decline since the last major upgrade to the Forum. It’s also become noticeable that significant numbers of the old regulars have just vanished from the Forum. Even the Moderators are absent these days. I can’t remember the last time that I saw either of them on here.

Personally that’s a shame, but the current design is far less user friendly and may be this is driving the decline. Getting the UX (user experience) right is critical for website design. IMHO the last version was much better.

There is of course another option. With the number if E53s steadily declining (and they were the majority for many years on here) and the newer versions being harder and harder to work on, members can’t get the help that they need. The tinkering brigade may be becoming a dying breed :cry:

Whatever the cause, it’s incredibly quiet given most people are at home.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:10 pm

Well, sine 25th March I'm stuck at home for 12 weeks - 8 to go at least and my F15 has been in the garage with a SORN since 27th March. I've had the battery on a 12 hour trickle charge two weeks ago so it's due another one now!

I keep promising myself to get on with all those jobs that have accumulated since goodness knows when - but it's just amazing how little time I have to do them!!!!!!!

Stay safe and well everyone,

Graeme

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:55 am

I'm surprised there aren't more people posting what they've been doing to their Xs. But as X5Sport says, tinkering and newer cars is an oxymoron.

.......... Or maybe most people are busy decorating their house from top to bottom.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:47 pm

I think apathy and indiference are rife here now, it used to be busy and almost a joy to look in and interact with like minded folk, but it's pretty desperate nowadays.

Personally I've been quite busy tinkering with various tweaks and upgrades, just not on a BMW X.

Wood gone, enter racey carbon fibre, on possibly the slowest modern vehicle I have ever owned :oops:
Attachments
20200403_162719.jpg
20200403_162719.jpg (166.02 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
20200403_162714.jpg
20200403_162714.jpg (200.23 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
20200403_162724.jpg
20200403_162724.jpg (159.13 KiB) Viewed 3610 times

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:05 pm

Very smart, how are you finding the Touareg, almost bought one, but plumped for an X5 40d instead, until recently wasn’t convinced I had made the right decision, having had Land Rover products for many years, but must admit it’s growing on me, and in reality it is probably the best car I have owned, it does everything that I realistically need it to do, although wouldn’t want to go far off road (but then I don’t nowadays) and providing it stays reliable reckon it’s going to be a long term car.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:29 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:47 pmWood gone
Snap! Today I've finally finished wrapping the "wood" in my F25 with brushed aluminium look.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:39 pm

Haven't had it very long but its impressively appointed. SE seems the most common spec of this era, SE Sport as mine is has many goodies for a 2005 car.

There's significant ground clearance, just what i need for unmade roads in Greece, something an X5/6 really isn't suited to. The 2.5 diesel is a truck motor historically. Painfully slow from start but OK when rolling.

I should have been embarking on my across Europe drive this weekend, who knows when or even if that will be possible in 2020. The tinkering i planned to do over there is largely being done here whilst in lockdown.
Last edited by sapphireblack on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:13 pm

Still working here but managed to get a coat of wax on my x5 on Monday. It's chewing the edge of both front tyres so there is probably some suspension arm cost in the near future. Don't want to fit my 21's till its fixed but a tank has lasted a month already with 1/3 left!
All forums are dying this last while Facebook has taken over I'm afraid easier to get a wide audience although much harder to find useful info.
The e70 is still a good DIY proposition now e53 numbers are thiinning due to old age.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:28 pm

The x5 is parked up on a battery charger, bloody thing has nothing wrong with it. B3 is all sorted as well, waiting on a couple of o2 sensors for the m3 and then it should run properly, I’ve put it on SORN, can’t really see it going anywhere this year. Decided after a year to start on the r32. There’s that much that needs doing its a bit daunting.
Agree with the comment that previous version of site was much better and probably does contribute to lack of new people signing up.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:59 am

It was the ground clearance, that made me look at them having come from Range Rover and Discovery’s, but came to the conclusion that the x5 would be ok, as really we only go off tarmac Occasionally generally whilst towing the caravan on a few bumpy site tracks. Although my biggest worry is damaging the 21” wheels on large stones holes on said tracks, been ok so far, but stopped a few times to move lumps and partially fill holes, once this lockdown comes to an end and we are out and about again may look for some 19” or 20” wheels to fit, although given the price of a decent set of tyres and wheels, buying a used Touareg just for towing might be an another option, as performance with a two ton caravan is not a key requirement, although sometimes have to remember the caravan is on the back with the x5, as it’s got incredible performance for a big car.

Let’s hope this pandemic blows over in the not to distant future and we can all get back to traveling and doing the things we love to do.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:39 am

Think the lockdown is long term. BBC news feed last nite had Prof Whitty saying some degree of lockdown for all of 2020 until there's a vaccine :?

Touareg for off-road or as a lugger would be good I imagine, the air suspension models even better. Seriously been toying with the idea of selling the X6 and keeping the Touareg here. I'm not going to get it to Greece anytime soon :tumbleweed:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Yay! I get to play Primary School Teacher for months then...... :sos: :cry:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:41 pm

By no means an expert but I reckon you may be able to travel to Spain for a holiday around September, as was chatting to one of my neighbour's this morning, they have a place in France, and he has heard they are looking how they can open up camp sites and holiday homes for the summer season as was Spain whilst maintaining social distancing.

Can't see me selling the X5 in the short term, the depreciation hit in the first few years is horrific, wasn't 100% sure about it when I first got it, but it ticks a lot of boxes, goes extremely well and quickly when asked, tows the caravan effortlessly, loads of room, very comfortable and reasonably economical. In reality maybe should bit the bullet and just buy a set of 19" wheels!

Hope you manage to get away this year

max

Post by max » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:05 pm

I hope you are all keeping well

Its certainly been quieter here as of late, even more quieter than it is on the streets at the moment :?

It's a shame as there is some great knowledge on the forum. As others have said I don't think the last site change helped......my account regularly gets logged out of its own accord which doesn't help things. It feels as people move to the newer versions of the X they are finding other places to get knowledge on the cars - I don't think the next generation of owners are 'forum type' people and prefer places like FB/Instagram for the quick easy post.

Anyways enough on my ramblings, stay safe folks :driving: