Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel refurb. Powdercoat or paint?

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:53 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:50 pm
sapphireblack wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:32 pm:o a set of Borbet's for £104? Wish i could get deals like that.
Dunno what state of health they're in yet. :? The only picture I've seen shows just one with a little kerb rash. They could all be badly buckled for all I know.

I'll probably try to sell the tyres. You never know, I could make my money back on them.

I just need to find somewhere to store the bloody things now. :roll:
If the wheels are all the correct shape, and I don't have to buy spigot rings and/or spacers (seller is unsure of the et and centre bore - he's had them on an F25, but I like things right), and I get some money back for the tyres, it could turn-out to be the bargain of the century.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:00 pm

I was planning on collecting the Borbets this morning, but they're the other side of the Pennines and Storm Eunice scuppered the plan.

The time hasn't been totally wasted, though. I've fitted the gunmetal Style 304s ready for another of my 600+ mile round trips on Monday and Tuesday. I know winter isn't over yet, but the forecast is for milder weather next week and I want to take the opportunity to reduce the tread-depth of the summer tyres a bit more. I was also impatient to see what the colour looks like on the car so that I can decide if I want the colour of the Borbets changed before they go on the car.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:00 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:00 pmI was planning on collecting the Borbets this morning, but they're the other side of the Pennines and Storm Eunice scuppered the plan.
The seller has just delivered them, because he was coming in this direction today anyway. :yeah:

Cosmetically, they do need a refurb. But on the plus side that can wait until later in the year, until I decide what colour - not sure yet whether to go for gunmetal again or go one shade nearer full-on reflex silver (IIRC there were two on offer). Definitely won't be gloss, but can't decide on matt or satin, either. :roll:
More pluses are that the offset is within my idea of "correct", so no spacers & longer bolts needed, and the centre bore seems to be correct for the car, so no spigot rings needed. (I haven't measured the CB properly yet, but a hubcentric spacer from my E46 doesn't seem loose enough to be 1.5mm too small) I will source a new set of Borbet-branded centre caps, though - they're smaller than BMW's 68mm ones.

Also, I still haven't made-up my mind what to do with the surplus wheels and tyres.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:07 pm

Have them refinished in original silver paint whatever that is, most likely a gloss though, Borbet will doubtless give you a paint code.

X3 wheels may be different, selling X6 wheels is far from easy 🙁

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:05 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:07 pmHave them refinished in original silver paint whatever that is, most likely a gloss though, Borbet will doubtless give you a paint code.

X3 wheels may be different, selling X6 wheels is far from easy 🙁
If you're referring to.............
StuBeeDoo wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:00 pmAlso, I still haven't made-up my mind what to do with the surplus wheels and tyres.
........ they already are silver. :) They're the ones I had re-painted silver after my gloss gunmetal powdercoat disappointment.
There's a set the same style on eBay that have been there for months. IIRC he started them at £100, and now they're down to £80 and he still hasn't has a sniff. Mind, he probably isn't doing himself any favours because he says "cash only, no PayPal" and also "collect only" - from Glasgow! :o

When I get home (away until Wednesday) I'll check the date code on the tyres on the Borbets. If they're less than 3 years old I'll probably get them put on said silver wheels and tuck them away in a dark corner of the garage on the off-chance that we get a real winter in the next couple of years.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:03 pm

Actually no, i meant the refurb of the Borbets in original silver paint 8)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:33 pm

I want them darker than silver - more like silver-grey. Something around halfway between silver and gunmetal.

I've already ordered new centre caps, but I've plumped for BMW roundels because I can't find any Borbet-branded ones in the UK :( - since Brexit I've stopped buying offshore. The wheels came with caps that are the correct-size, but with too-small cheap vinyl roundels in.

The tyres on the Borbets are date-coded "3317", so by the time next winter comes they will be 5 years old. At least one has a cut in the sidewall which to my eye looks like a potential MOT failure. Although they have more than 5mm I don't think I would be happy using them, and if I'm not happy to use them I wouldn't be happy selling them either.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:33 pm

Satin gunmetal Style 304s. Car washed (and debadged) but not detailed - it was too bloody cold out there. :(
2022 03 01 F25 style 304 satin gunmetal shade.JPG
2022 03 01 F25 style 304 satin gunmetal shade.JPG (98.31 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
2022 03 01 F25 style 304 satin gunmetal sunny.JPG
2022 03 01 F25 style 304 satin gunmetal sunny.JPG (120.98 KiB) Viewed 1021 times

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:00 pmI've fitted the gunmetal Style 304s ready for another of my 600+ mile round trips on Monday and Tuesday. I know winter isn't over yet, but the forecast is for milder weather next week and I want to take the opportunity to reduce the tread-depth of the summer tyres a bit more.
I may have to swap them back again. :roll: There is speculation in a couple of media outlets that we may be in for a "snow bomb" sometime in the next 10 days. TBF they aren't using info from either the Met.Office or Meteo.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:26 am

In the words of Corporal Jones, don't panic. Any snowfall is unlikely to last very long this time of year :)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:22 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:26 amIn the words of Corporal Jones, don't panic. Any snowfall is unlikely to last very long this time of year :)
I'm not panicking, the sources aren't that reliable. :roll: If the Met.Office or Meteo (BBC's current data supplier) forecast snow, then I'll think about it, depending on what their forecast actually states.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:34 pm

Anyway, back to my dislike of powdercoat...............

Having had the gunmetal wheels on the car for a couple of weeks, I've been to the coaters today and booked the Borbets in for next week - to be done in the same colour.

Never say never. :?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:52 am

Looking forwards to pictures, can't beat a simple five spoke design wheel.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:49 am

sapphireblack wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:52 amLooking forwards to pictures, can't beat a simple five spoke design wheel.
Here's a teaser. I collected them this morning. Unless I get a puncture/damage to the summer tyres, the Borbets won't be going on the car until the Autumn. :(
2022 03 15 Borbet refurbed.jpg
2022 03 15 Borbet refurbed.jpg (205.41 KiB) Viewed 916 times

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:53 am

Liking those 8) better imo than the multi spoke type on the car now.

Are you now a powder coating convert?