Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel refurb. Powdercoat or paint?

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:12 am

It may make you feel better if i tell you that the second set of type 300s for my car finally ended up satin black powder coat, exactly the same as the summer set. The still unused Pirelli winter rubber was removed from the type 259s (hence they're for sale) and transplanted. They are actually now on the car!

The refurb business was new to me and tried out as they offer a collect and deliver service for no more cost than other nearby companies where i have to hire a van, twice. They had to re-do one rim but it was done without any problems.

In discussing options initially, i mentioned BMW blue, they said that would be novel but only with diamond cut faces, i dislike diamond cut though and thought that option would have been very bling, the opposite of my normal taste

So, unless i'm mad enough to buy more wheel sets, my pondering, indecision and agonising is all history.

Or is it? 😲😨

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:12 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Wayfarer on Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:00 am

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:12 amSo, unless i'm mad enough to buy more wheel sets, my pondering, indecision and agonising is all history.

Or is it? 😲😨
After my conversation with the neighbour, my first reaction was to buy another set of 305s (as I mentioned before, they're easier to clean) which I know of. Seemed like a bargain at the time - £80 for four wheels needing a refurb. But then factor-in 300+ mile trip to collect them, which would take the thick-end of a day and cost getting-on for £60 in fuel. Another £240 for the refurb. I might have been able to get the refurber to transfer the tyres between sets, but if not I'd have to pay the tyre place to do it. Then I'd need to find room to store them, at least temporarily. Would I be able, then, to resist temptation to buy another set of Michelins, which - for now- I don't actually need?

No............ The 304s need a refurb, or else they're just litter. The worst that can happen is that they end-up stored in the garage for 51 weeks a year - which without a refurb they would be next year anyway, now that I'm converted to CrossClimates.

In all the 25-odd years I've been using winter wheels, this has been a regular occurrence. In fact when I had the E30, I actually had 3 full sets of fully-shod wheels for it. :o Summers, a barely-legal set of summers for emergencies (which I only ever used when the main set were getting repaired/replaced) and winters.

As you said............ Agonising.
Last edited by StuBeeDoo on Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:01 am

Duplicate post. Don't know how that happened. :?
Last edited by StuBeeDoo on Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:22 am

Well, if the surplus set don't sell, i have several options.

Fit part worn tyres, which may make them sell more easily? Possibly an expensive mistake!

Just sell them for way less than they owe me.

Buy a set of all season tyres and keep them.

In reality though as i'm abroad six months minimum each year, the winter set should and probably will just stay fitted. I'm only in the UK from November to mid April, which is winter tyre season. That said its never really bad here in the south, but the winter set was very expensive and tyres do 'go off' so i'm pleased to have now put them to work.

For the foreseeable future, all season tyres in the sizes i need are non existant. Life's twists and turns always seem to impact my wallet :oops:

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:44 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:48 amThe middle and both ends of all this is that in spite of everything I've posted here, I'm going back to the same powdercoater with the 304s to have them done in satin gunmetal..............
I'll be making it plain that I want satin finish. Maybe I wasn't specific enough last time, although I thought I was.........
Watch this space................
I got them back yesterday. If I'm being picky, his balancing machine probably isn't the best (or it needs loooking at). There are more weights on the wheels than came off, but at least they aren't at multiple points on the wheels like last time.

The finish is pretty-much the sort I've been striving for. :) I'll post a pic when the wheels go back on the car for summer. I'm fairly certain the 305s will be done the same colour by this time next year, in spite of what the painter said about unknown styles and colours when I had them put back to silver a few months ago.

For now, I'm happy. I just need to see the gunmetal 304s on the car to be 100% certain.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:29 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:44 pmIf I'm being picky, his balancing machine probably isn't the best (or it needs loooking at). There are more weights on the wheels than came off, but at least they aren't at multiple points on the wheels like last time.
To be fair, that ^^^ could be because the tyres are on different rims and/or in different positions. The balancing dots on the tyres are long gone. :(

I've spent the morning sealing the finish on the gunmetal 304s (and dressing the tyres) ready for fitting them on the car next Wednesday.
Gunmetal satin 304.JPG
Gunmetal satin 304.JPG (186.75 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
StuBeeDoo wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:00 am
sapphireblack wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:12 amSo, unless i'm mad enough to buy more wheel sets, my pondering, indecision and agonising is all history.
In all the 25-odd years I've been using winter wheels, this has been a regular occurrence. In fact when I had the E30, I actually had 3 full sets of fully-shod wheels for it. :o Summers, a barely-legal set of summers for emergencies (which I only ever used when the main set were getting repaired/replaced) and winters.

As you said............ Agonising.
:o To make things worse for myself I've been made aware of a set of Borbet CC in F25 fitment (with Nokian runflat winter tyres on). I've always been partial to 5-spoke wheels, and I missed-out on a set of Style 306 Streamlines a couple of weeks ago because I dithered. :roll:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:50 pm

The Borbets look nice. Does the set in question need a refurb?

'Classic' five spoke wheels always look good, best ever for the E53 were the type 87 4.6is rims? Classic X6 wheel is style 259 imo. Easy to clean wheels are simply the best 😎
Last edited by sapphireblack on Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:56 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:50 pmDoes thw set in queation need a refurb?
Ideally, IMHO, but someone less picky than me would likely be happy to use them as-is.
sapphireblack wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:50 pm'Classic' five spoke wheels always look good, best ever for the E53 were the type 87 4.6is rims? Classic X6 wheel is style 259 imo. Easy to clean wheels are simply the best
Indubitably. :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:47 pm

Not your average five spoke wheel but a while ago i had a long standing bid on an eBay set and got sniped in the dying seconds. :(

Never seen another set for sale outside of the USA .

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:39 pm

:rofl: Style 306's big brother!

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:28 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:29 pmTo make things worse for myself I've been made aware of a set of Borbet CC in F25 fitment (with Nokian runflat winter tyres on).
Much as I prefer 5-spokes, I really can't justify a third set - because I CBA moving-on one of my existing sets. I'm going to give the Borbet CCs a swerve. :(
If I needed a set of tyres it would make a bit more sense - but I don't at the moment.

I need to stay off certain websites.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:29 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:28 pmMuch as I prefer 5-spokes, I really can't justify a third set - because I CBA moving-on one of my existing sets. I'm going to give the Borbet CCs a swerve. :(
If I needed a set of tyres it would make a bit more sense - but I don't at the moment.

I need to stay off certain websites.
Ooooops! :o I just bought them for £104.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:32 pm

:o a set of Borbet's for £104? Wish i could get deals like that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:50 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:32 pm:o a set of Borbet's for £104? Wish i could get deals like that.
Dunno what state of health they're in yet. :? The only picture I've seen shows just one with a little kerb rash. They could all be badly buckled for all I know.

I'll probably try to sell the tyres. You never know, I could make my money back on them.

I just need to find somewhere to store the bloody things now. :roll:
Last edited by StuBeeDoo on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.