Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Unit16 non start when hot/warm 4293 code

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
B3mwe

Post by B3mwe » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:32 am

Hi all I have a strange fault on my facelift 3.0d e53
When ran and hot say over 20 miles when you turn off engine the fuel system fault pops up,then if tring to restart its will crank no start with the same message on dash.
If trying to connect into ecu there is no connection but all other systems are able to do so .
Crank sensor changed and the injestors are fine leak off etc

Im wondering if its an electrical feed to the ecu or an ecu fail .has any one got any ideas or pointers

Greydog

Re: Unit16 non start when hot/warm 4293 code

Post by Greydog » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:14 am

Have you had a tuning chip fitted or the ECU flashed or reprogrammed?
Have you had an EGR delete carried out?

I have read that there can be damage to the DDE I would pull it and get it to someone like ECU Testing or BBA Reman for checking and repair

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Unit16 non start when hot/warm 4293 code

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:35 am

As above the DDE.
You could try the old magic reset and disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and that's free of charge so nothing to lose.

brrr

Post by brrr » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:25 pm

Hi, i have exactly the same problem. @B3mwe, what was the issue & how did you fix it?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:01 am

That member hasn’t been here for over a year and never updated us. Any codes showing? The error is a DDE (Diesel ECU) internal error according to the lookup table. There’s nothing in the instructions that refines the messages below other than access to a copy of the BMW DIS is needed.

BMW Fault Code: 4293
4293 - DDE: Control unit internal (Recovery locked)
System: Digital Diesel Electronics
BMW System: DDE
Type: Drive

BMW Fault Code: 4293
4293 - DDE: DDE control unit internal
System: Digital Diesel Electronics
BMW System: DDE
Type: Drive
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

brrr

Post by brrr » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:13 pm

Yeah, i noticed..hope he will reach back.

Only this 'internal error 16' showing, which doesn't give any hint where to look at. I searched whole internet already. Some point to a faulty dde (moisture or burned), some reported a leaky injector, but it could also be damaged wiring. Most of people have trouble starting the car at all (and they have additional errors besides 4293). The car behaves exactly as B3mwe described. It will only happen if the car is warm. DDE not detected. Once the car is running, it will run fine, i can drive around the world. Troubleshooting is PITA, as it doesn't happen always.
access to a copy of the BMW DIS is needed
Are you saying DIS will give more detailed info about the error?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:31 pm

DIS is BMWs diagnostic system so will probably guide technicians with what to do next. It should include EDIBIAS, ISTA+, ISTA P, ISTA D, INPA and NCS Expert. If you have a look on line you’ll see where to purchase it. It isn’t for the faint hearted or non-computer literate though. You need to also buy the right CAN-bus interface (usually via a USB port).

Other than that it’s a trip to a main dealer or someone like a Bosch Autocentre.

It may be worth having a look in the electronics box at the back right of the engine bay (as you look in from the front) for water ingress too. It’s a plastic box with kit inside and is above the fuse box (above the glovebox) but the other side of the same bulkhead.

brrr

Post by brrr » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:52 pm

Thanks..
..will try to make DIS working. Should have cable & cd laying around somewhere. Never used it though.
..and also take dme apart, to visually inspect pcb.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:39 pm

Do come back if you resolve the problem, X5Sport can then tuck the answer away in another little box in his head for future reference.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:31 am

What are your symptoms what is happening with your car.
Do you get the fuel system error come up or just the hot start problem.

brrr

Post by brrr » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:01 am

Ok, it's solved! Although i have e46...engine and ecu are almost identical (DDE5 - Bosch EDC16C1).

Simptoms:
- Needle for temp goes to max in 2. key position (this is indication dash has no communication with ecu)
- Car would crank but not start
- Diagnostic tools also do not find ecu via OBD when this happens
- When ecu was accessible, it had '4293 - Control unit internal error 16' stored. No other errors.
- This happened more often when outside temps were 20deg or above and after some driving. When weather was colder (below 5deg) this did not happen in my case.
- Once the car is running it won't die on its own.

Problem:
- Damaged ecu due to heat and vibrations
- According to info i got, problem is solder on main chip that uses ball grid array (pins under the chip).

Solution:
- You can take it to ecu repair shop. They will open it, test and try to repair. But since BGA chips are very hard to fix reliably...as pins are under the chip..you cannot see how good solder joints are. I was afraid problem might reappear after some time, so i went with the second option.
- Replace ecu with used one. 2 things are needed to get car started. VIN of your car has to be entered into new ecu (this can be done with winkfp), this is easy. Secondly, ecu has to be aligned with ews. There are 2 options for this step. Either eeprom is copied from old ecu to new one (ISN is stored in there) or eeprom data on new one is manipulated to make it 'virgin'. Eeprom can be read/written via bdm pins (ecu has to be opened) or some tuning tools are able to read it via external pins (this way ecu can stay factory sealed). So...i found a local tuner who was able to copy eeprom data from old to new ecu without opening it. I think this is the best option (injector codes are also copied).

ps. When searching for new ecu, pay attention to manual/automatic. Otherwise flash will also have to be changed.
ps2. If you are from EU, you can contact Daniel from https://ecuswap.de, he can provide this service (and used ecu).

Hope it helps someone in the future :wink:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:58 pm

Very informative. Yes BGA components are tricky as they need high precision positioning and the only way that I know of to check the ‘grid’ is via 3D x-ray. This is something most places won’t have. You also need precision desoldering hardware such as that found on electronics production lines. I worked in precision electronics for a while and the tech needed is seriously expensive. That kind of fault was often too expensive in time to fix (even on a brand new board) so the PCB was scrapped.