Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air suspension having problems

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Air suspension having problems

Post by Leslie » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:12 pm

It does sound like a failing sensor that loses signal at certain points on its travel so if it happens again I'd just buy one. Intermittent faults can be so tricky to pin down especially if it fits either side it won't go wasted :D The contant potholes must wear them out given your highish miles.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:31 am

You say you swapped them from side to side ???.
I thought the level sensors where sided.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:57 pm

Not sure they are looking at the parts list the rear level sensors and headlight aim sensor are the same p/n

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:36 pm

Alan Gunn wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:31 am You say you swapped them from side to side ???.
I thought the level sensors where sided.
I think they were on earlier cars , makes sense to use the same parts where possible though :D

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:23 am

I just need to get round to plugging the scanner in to see what's what.
Only happened after the mot jack up and been jacked up since but still the same.

Bch06

Post by Bch06 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi Alan, yes the sensor are both same, however the bracket which holds the sensor is different so I unscrewed from the bracket and then replaced the sensor from side to side.

Update I have been driving the car up until now thankfully no codes, but I’m extremely nervous while driving :D

Bch06

Post by Bch06 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Bad new again, after a couple of weeks yesterday I decided to go on a long drive, and the chassis warning came back on idrive.

I plugged ista d, I’m getting the same code 480db4 and S0317

My X5 is riding high again, my question is does the air compressor has a function to deflate if it does maybe the compressor is faulty as it doesn’t deflates even when I run the deflate cycle from ista D, or could it be the valve block on the compressor

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:09 pm

Don't think it has a deflate function , its not a range rover with 4 wheel airbags that can crouch down to get in/out. If The sensors are working it should stop the pump at the correct level so never need to deflate surely ? the only way it will go too high imo is if the sensor doesn't feedback .

Bch06

Post by Bch06 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:50 pm

These are the errors I’m getting
Attachments
38F5C216-8D80-43CF-853E-9332CF67F33B.jpeg
38F5C216-8D80-43CF-853E-9332CF67F33B.jpeg (62.37 KiB) Viewed 12408 times

Bch06

Post by Bch06 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:35 pm

Leslie wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:09 pm Don't think it has a deflate function , its not a range rover with 4 wheel airbags that can crouch down to get in/out. If The sensors are working it should stop the pump at the correct level so never need to deflate surely ? the only way it will go too high imo is if the sensor doesn't feedback .
Hi Leslie,

If the compressor doesn’t have an option to deflate then how does the ista d deflates when one wants to replace the rear air bellows?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:58 pm

Bch06 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:35 pm
Leslie wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:09 pm Don't think it has a deflate function , its not a range rover with 4 wheel airbags that can crouch down to get in/out. If The sensors are working it should stop the pump at the correct level so never need to deflate surely ? the only way it will go too high imo is if the sensor doesn't feedback .
Hi Leslie,

If the compressor doesn’t have an option to deflate then how does the ista d deflates when one wants to replace the rear air bellows?
I don't know maybe it opens the compressor to the lines but leaves compressor off where it would normally run and pump the bags up so vents the airbags as there is no pressure being generated ? I'm only guessing here ! I don't see why there would be a need to vent as it should never be too high to start with but there may well be a need. :?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:02 am

When i first got my e53 i went to my sisters.
The way i pull in and park put the car uneven as you drop off the road onto her gravel drive but that's as far as i go just of the tarmac.
First time going there i got out of the car and can only explain it as the car sounded like it was farting while it levelled itself so it must let air out.
When it happened this first time i had no idea what was going on but after a few visits i worked it out.(well i think i did)....

Bch06

Post by Bch06 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:16 am

Thanks everyone, however I still haven’t found the resolution to my problem yet.

But I must mention that yesterday when I was driving the car there was a warning so I stopped the car switched off for 5 minutes started again there was no warning, after driving for about 5 minutes it came back again. So it shows that the warning comes and goes, I don’t know what triggers the error.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:50 pm

Have you unplugged the connections at the sensors and put contact cleaner on them and traced the wires as far as possible for breaks or damaged sleeving which could cause an intermittent earth. Same in boot.

Bch06

Post by Bch06 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:25 pm

Hi just an update and a question,

After a lot of testing, I decided to order a Solenoid valve block which goes on the air compressor, last week I changed it deleted the code went on a long test drive and the chassis warning came back again, the only error code I’m getting is 480DB4 “Control time lowering rear left” so I gave up and decided to let bmw dealer do the diagnostic and pay them £99 for it.

Yesterday I gave the car to BMW and after a few hours they called me and told me that they think it’s the air compressor, so I asked them if it is 100% the air compressor they said we suggested you change the air compressor which will cost me 1100+ labour.

But what I don’t understand is what is the point of me going to the dealer if they are not certain that it’s the air compressor?

I also asked Bmw to explain me why do they think it’s the air compressor, even though it inflates the air bellows? And why would I only get the error related to rear left? But they don’t have any answers to that.

I’m on a dead end again, any suggestions please ?