Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Intermittent starting

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
Supercooper04

Intermittent starting

Post by Supercooper04 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:49 pm

I have 2005 3.0d X3. recently I have intermittent non start problems which I'm struggling to sort out. I originally thought it was a faulty battery but that all test okay.

You can sit in the car, turn the key, lights and radio come on but the car doesn't start when the ignition is in the crank position. You can turn the key a few time and it will start.

I've done a drop/ load test on the battery and that's okay. The battery is charging, the battery terminals aren't loose. its charging on idle with the radio on etc at 14v.

Starter pulls the battery down to 10v or 11v. there is no solenoid click when you crank it and doesn't start the dash lights dont dim either.

marti

Re: Intermittent starting

Post by marti » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:01 am

Could be a few things, you really need diagnostics run.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:48 am

Do you mean it doesn't turn over/crank every time you turn the key.
Or does it crank and fail to start.

Supercooper04

Post by Supercooper04 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:18 pm

Mine started doing this recently. charged at 14v, drop tested and dropped to 10 11v. I took it to my garage to check the starter. They couldn't find the fault. We decided to change the battery and fixed the fault. the battery was tested again a day later off the vehicle and it failed.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:48 pm

Check the starter current draw. It should be no more than 180A. If it is then the starter is shot and needs replacing. Around the time yours was built there was an issue with a certain make of starter motor resulting in internal shorts. This can result in a current draw of over 900A, which the battery cannot cope with. I’ve changed two now on my old E53, and our E46 with the 30d engine. With the E46 it would start twice but then need fully recharging. The E53 would not crank.

It is a diy with the right Etorx heads for socket sets and a decent large breaker bar and torque wrench (the bolts are very tight - but need to be).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.