Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

key fob wont uklock doors and power drain

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
andrewdickson815

key fob wont uklock doors and power drain

Post by andrewdickson815 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:47 pm

Hi all,
I have just got an X5 (first 1) she has a few problems and I need some help please.
the key fob will set the alarm but wont unlock the doors,,,,
also I have a power drain, after charging the battery and reconnecting it with the keys out,
the compressor starts to run. is this normal???
many thanks,
andy

Greydog

Re: key fob wont uklock doors and power drain

Post by Greydog » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:32 am

Morning Andy

Welcome :D
The suspension is self levelling, so if there is a leak somewhere the compressor will run when it senses power. If the suspension remains within ride height tolerance for a while after locking giving the car time to "go to sleep" shut down all systems bar the clock then it shouldn't run until the car is unlocked. Check the airbags for leaks with soapy water then work back through all the air connections to the compressor to find the leak.
With the key it may just need pairing again.

Happy New Year

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:33 pm

Compressor running a bit after unlocking sound normal enough to me. If both keys are the same then it's probably not the key at fault and as said battery drain is a nightmare but the heater resistor can do this look for defrosting on windscreen as a sign it's on when it shouldn't be.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:35 pm

Look for threads covering the FSR = Final Stage Resistor (aka the Hedgehog). Part of the climate system just behind the dash besides the pedals. It’s a diy job, and yes as above if it fails it will keep the fans running and kill the battery. Not an expensive part.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.