Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E83 transfer box 2007 2.0d manual

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
mwain6969

E83 transfer box 2007 2.0d manual

Post by mwain6969 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:50 pm

Hi all

got a whine coming from the transfer box. Had it up on the ramp today can hear it in the cabin but nothing when under it with the wheels going. Had to get a stethoscope to hear it and it's coming from the transfer box/case . Pulled the oil plug and was over filled with oil... But it did have flecks of metal in it so I'm thinking the bearing is on its way out.

Question is can I use any secondhand transfer box off any manual e83? Or does it have to be a one from the exact same engine/year/manual?

Cheers any help welcome

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: E83 transfer box 2007 2.0d manual

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:18 pm

Put the last 7 of your VIN into RealOEM (on line BMW parts database) under Serial Number and it will bring up your model. If you then pull up the transfer case (press the part number link and it shows what uses that part)and see which models it can be used on that should tell you. It should be an ATC400 and they are used across all E83 xDrive versions.

As an aside, do you have a staggered wheel size or square (identical) setup on the car?

What tyres do you have fitted and are they the correct ‘*’ marked type? Do they also have less than 1.5mm tread depth difference between any one tyre and any other? E83s are very sensitive to tyre type and having the wrong ones (ie not ‘*’ marked) or a greater tread depth can and does cause broken transfer boxes.

This is very important on cars with a staggered set up, however one tyre with more wear than others can just as easily cause the same problem. A second hand ATC400 could have the same issue. Something to be aware of.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

mwain6969

Re: E83 transfer box 2007 2.0d manual

Post by mwain6969 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks for that

I haven't had it long but it's got pirelli scorpion verde 235/50r18 97h all round. Look pretty new and look like they went on as a set

Your right it is the ATC400 for mine arcording to the part checker.

I know what you what you are saying about the transfer box. I've priced up reconditioning at £750, but can get a transfer box from a bmw breaker for £150 and fitted £100 so it's a bit of risk and reward I suppose