Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coolant flush/drain

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
tommarky81

Coolant flush/drain

Post by tommarky81 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:03 pm

Hi guys.
I have a 2012 X3 2.0d.
I want to change the coolant as the service history shows it hasn’t been done yet after 70,000 miles.
There is no drain plug in the radiator so it’s a case of removing the lower radiator hose which has some very awkward clips on it. They look like an ordinary steel spring clip, ie pull to remove and release hose, but there are some black plastic catches on them which stops the spring being release from both sides at once. Any ideas?
Also, where is the engine drain plug? I would like to get all the coolant out and flush thoroughly.
THANKS!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coolant flush/drain

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:41 pm

BMW use a vacuum system for many of their cars, with the F25 being but one needing it. You’ll need to pull the radiator hoses off to drain, however refilling needs a vacuum system to ensure no air left in the system during refill. All filling is done via the expansion reservoir using special tools and procedures. The whole system has to be kept under vacuum (0.6-0.95Bar) whilst refilling. There is no engine drain plug.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Coolant flush/drain

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:09 am

I don't think it's that expensive to have it done taking into account what you will pay yourself for the coolant.
Ask a local indi or even Halfrawds do it for around £40.