Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X3 2.0 m-sport incoming

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
Sj2412

X3 2.0 m-sport incoming

Post by Sj2412 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi all... I hope I’m going to be accepted over here, I’m an active member on the babybmw forum which is full of excellent advice and support but my time has come and I’ve moved/moving out of my current car.

My bmw journey started with a 120d SE which was a great car for me at the time, since then I’ve moved from
120d e87 > 118d f22 > 120d f21 > m135i f21 > m140i shadow edition f21.

I need a bigger car for a few things and the x3 has always taken my fancy, I was tempted by the x3m40i but I have to be sensible and reduce running costs!!

So I have ordered a G01 X3 2.0 Msport in Sapphire Black and it’s due to be delivered next week. I appreciate it will be a tad slower than my current m140! But I am really looking forward to the comfort and some of the tech on the car - idrive7, HUD, Apple car play and wireless charging

I’ve gone for sun protection glass and the Tech Pack, I don’t think I need much else. I’ve ordered a fitted boot liner to protect the carpet from the dog.

I enquired with the dealers about replacing the chrome kidneys for the M performance black ones but was quoted £450!!! Looking online I can get a set for £120? Has anyone got any advice on the replacement or links to purchase. I assume the excessive price is due to the tech in the grill? Would I lose that by replacing with after market.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X3 2.0 m-sport incoming

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:04 pm

Hello and :hi: to the Forum. We accept anyone so don’t worry about that bit :D

My only experience aftermarket grilles was a couple of years back on our E46. They were cheaper yes, badly wrapped, damaged and didn’t fit very well. A second set were supplied (undamaged) but the fit is still poor.

For our F46 we ordered genuine and had them dealer fitted at new. They weren’t that expensive though!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Sj2412

Post by Sj2412 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:26 pm

I’ve had dealer fit on all my cars so far apart from the current 140 as they were standard, they’ve always cost around £130 ish.

I wondered with the car having the ‘active grills’ that’s why they’re more ££ but looking at research the active grills sit behind the cosmetic grill.

Sj2412

Post by Sj2412 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:26 pm

I’ve had dealer fit on all my cars so far apart from the current 140 as they were standard, they’ve always cost around £130 ish.

I wondered with the car having the ‘active grills’ that’s why they’re more ££ but looking at research the active grills sit behind the cosmetic grill.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:06 pm

I thought the active grilles were behind the cosmetic grilles too. It may be that the latest BMWs with their massive intake grilles (why?) are therefore more costly.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.