Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Leaving soon...

kenniff

Leaving soon...

Post by kenniff » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:38 pm

Well my X5M50d will be 4 years old in May and so it was time for a change...

This was my third X5, and I’ve been very happy with all of them. The M50d is the quickest I’ve owned and to be fair is far quicker than I need. I do enjoy driving it though. I would simply have kept it, but it was on a PCP and the balloon payment was £30k ish.

When i bought my first X5 almost all of them were diesels but now that the word diesel gets you excommunicated I have looked at the new M50i (petrol) and the Range Rover Sport HST (p400 engine). I have no doubt that the X5 would be quicker than the RRS and miles quicker than my existing X5, but after a bit of horse trading the RRS ended up cheaper - and to be honest, I thought it was time to try something different.

I will miss the M50d - trade in price of £33250 in the end. With less than 17k miles on the clock and having been well treated it’ll be a good buy for someone.

I’ll miss the forum too!

Will be selling my E70 roof bars and 3 bike rails (all OEM) in the Buy and Sell section. I had sold them on EBay, but the buyer didnt get round to paying. NB: They fit the F15 as well as the E70 Msport versions.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Leaving soon...

Post by graemeX5 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:58 pm

Congrats on the new RRS and its worth trying a different one especially if a better deal.

You can always stay on the forum as its always good to have an owners view on other models especially a close option for the X5

Graeme

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:19 am

I don't know much about PCP arrangements but i read 17k mikes over four years with a 30k balloon!
Surely theres a more economical way to have a nice machine at your disposal?

Fingers crossed with LR products, I've not owned one in years but friends who do are well acquainted with their local dealerships.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:34 am

Yes, I’d love to hear how I should or could have done it cheaper.

My experience with PCP and X5 s has been as follows:
I’ve bought 3 X5s. Each time I put down as a deposit the equity on the part ex. Each time the deposit increased because the part ex price offered was way higher than the the balloon. Conversely, this time whether looking for a RRS or an X5, the part ex was much closer to the balloon - so I’d basically lost my deposit. On the M50d i think i put down a deposit of £7500 and yet in the end I got equity of £2500. When i started the process of changing I was getting told by everyone that there was no equity in the car at all!

For me, the way I’ve looked at it is that I’ve been paying around £700 a month to drive a new car that I change every 3.5 years. Maybe that’s too much.

I agree the mileage is tiny - I think the minimum assumed mileage for the PCP was 8k or 10k per year and in the past I did a bit more. A year of Covid has meant very little long distance driving - whereas in previous years I would drive London to Glasgow and back 6 times a year at least.

It’s an expensive luxury, I get that, maybe I should buy something older or cheaper or keep it longer.

I’ll keep dropping by the forum. Interested in hearing from people who buy the new M50i as I never got to drive or see one. The whole process this time has been done without seeing any real metal!

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:33 pm

I wonder why your deposit dropped this time maybe they are getting a lot more low milers in with covid than usual so the premium for them has reduced or they are finding it much more difficult to shift stock now with people driving less so holding onto their cars
Enjoy the new car anyway only you can decide if it's worth it or not and finance deals are the only way into a new car now such is the cost of a new x5. Older cars especially once expensive ones can bring huge costs if anything goes wrong too out of warranty .

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:55 pm

I think its probably mostly down to diesel becoming a dirty word. I expect petrol will become the same shortly judging by all the manufacturers promising to be all electric.

I would happily have bought electric this time ... except for the fact I park on the street where at the moment there are virtually no charging points and I can’t even be guaranteed to get a parking space in the street where I live. I’m not driving to work - where I could otherwise have charged it perhaps.