Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil level

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
b21playa

Oil level

Post by b21playa » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:55 pm

Hi all

My idrive reports my oil level is high but the dipstick shows ok.

Do I just need to check the sensor in the pan?

Thanks

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Oil level

Post by Leslie » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:42 pm

I think the only solution was to take some out till it reads ok remember it being discussed here before

b21playa

Oil level

Post by b21playa » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:14 am

Can it cause issues as ecu thinks it’s overfilled?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Oil level

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:41 am

Me i would always trust the stick but thats me old fashioned.

StuBeeDoo

Oil level

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:12 am

For the first few oil changes I did on my F25, I did it by the dipstick because I'm old-fashioned too. i-Drive showed it as over-full every time, but I never bothered draining any out. When I did an oil change last week, I filled with 7.5ltrs of oil and checked on i-Drive which showed slightly under the max. mark (and I put a few more mls in to get it to max). Out of curiosity I pulled the dipstick when i-Drive showed full and if I had gone by that I would have put another litre in. :o

I don't think it causes any issues with the ECU if i-Drive reports over-full. I never had any problems in over 2 years/4 changes.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Oil level

Post by Leslie » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:44 am

Don't think there are ecu issues as said more annoying than anything else, someone on here had reported about 1/4 litre difference to get it to read right , 1 litre sounds a lot so id go by the dipstick and make sure its on totally flat ground , a little either way isn't going to make any difference , the newer ones don't they recommend not to add oil until told by the computer then add a full litre otherwise it gets confused. As these diesels can raise the oil level staying a bit below the max is maybe the way to go but mine doesn't seem add and or use any that I can see over 10k which is when I change my oil. I do know of a friends 7 though that was adding a huge amount (several litres) to the oil level which was down to failed regens due to a faulty stat we believe as it seemed to stop after that was changed .
I only go by the dipstick in mine and it hasn't worn out or given a false reading yet yet :rofl: