Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Component shortages hitting BMW options

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:37 pm

I’m looking at replacing our now almost 3-year old leased F46 Gran Tourer with either another of the same, or a next generation G?? (If a 7-seater does appear?) in the not too distant future.

Looking at specifying options it seems that some of the electronics/audio ones are suddenly no longer available. Harmon-Kardon upgraded audio is one that I’ve come across so far in models up to and including the X3 - not looked further up the model range as those are unaffordable to me these days. Component shortages from the Far East for various reasons are hitting what can or can’t be ordered at present.

If you are in the market for a new car then you too may find an option or three have temporarily vanished. I’ve no idea how long the situation will last.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:21 pm

A nice problem to have though, deliberating options :wink:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:52 pm

Can’t even get a battery for my parents Honda Jazz!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:36 pm

Having been to a dealership today, it seems that even lumbar supports for the front passenger seats are now being affected by the electronics shortages. HK in car audio has gone from all models and other options are expected to disappear unless the situation improves. Lead times are also growing. Although we haven’t ordered anything, we were told to expect Jan/Feb ‘22 for a new G01 X3 LCI.

Sadly it seems that BMW have pulled the plug on the F46 2 series Gran Tourer 7-seater and there will be no replacement. The Active Tourer’s boot isn’t big enough for us. The X3 is too pricey so looking at options. Dealer discounts are nowhere near as good as a couple of years back. Nice problem to have, but…….

Items no longer available now include (and it varies by model):
Drive Recorder (dash cam effectively)
Automatic Cruise Control
Lumber support & backrest width adjust on sport seats - passenger side. Car price not being reduced
Lane keeping system (may be part of a Tech+ Pack)
Radar based cruise control as well as the camera based version - usually part of a Tech+ Pack
H&K sound system upgrades - even being removed from cars that get it as standard BUT the price of the car is NOT being reduced as a result.
Surround view Parking Plus system option.

From what I hear it may be going to get a lot worse too.

M50dG05

Post by M50dG05 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:50 pm

Due to this "shortage" a LOT of options are not available, and indeed have not been available for a good few months. Apparently, BMW are contacting people who ordered new cars upto 12 months ago, and telling them that although the car is now "in build" certain options they originally chose are not available, and (here's the killer) because the build is committed, they cannot cancel, and will just be refunded for the missing options.

So glad My G05 was built feb 20 before an Oct 20 reg date, as it has ALL the options on the above list (and a few more) which are now not available - Hopefully this will help it's residual at sale time as it should be one of the better specc'd ones available :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:34 pm

It’s definitely not a good situation, and I’ve seen reports all over the US about this sharp practice.

Having just ordered an M340D Tourer I have agreed with the Dealer that if it isn’t to spec then I will reject it and get a refund. In UK law you can do that, but other countries may not have that luxury.

One thing that I have found really annoying is the build system on the BMW GB website is not up to date with the shortages so you can put a build together, take it (or send it) to a Dealer only to have them come back and tell you options aren’t available. The build your own tool should reflect the actual status but BMW GB don’t seem to care. It’s been raised on Facebook in the last couple of days, and their response was to ask where the errors were! Shouldn’t they be all over that rather than asking their customers to do the legwork?

I found that I could even build a new F46 Gran Tourer on there and you can’t even order them any longer! It’s gone EOL.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:46 pm

BMW are now removing the touchscreen functionality from all 3 & 4 series cars from Wk 42 production onwards - no timescales for how long - due to component issues. iDrives will be via the standard controller only.

Reversing for auto-parking and other clever functions are also being removed. Those ordering cars will get a £500 rebate.

Looks like I won't be getting an M340d then as the spec has been downgraded after order and for a car costing that much, it will lose resale value because of bits missing. BMW just need to stop production of certain models if they can't make them.

At present it isn't possible to orer certain diesel engines eiither - parts shortages in the DDE production & supply.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Frustrating for sure but if there's no new viable alternative, it can't be to painful to keep what you already have?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:06 pm

We would, but it’s on lease so we have to pay up and that wasn’t the plan. I’m going in this weekend when the other one is being serviced (20% discount if booked on line today) to talk through options.

Anything with System 7 seems to be the problem and availability is moving ‘up the range’ so only 5-series and above. There is a new 3-series next summer with System 8, so it may be a case of hanging on, even if we hand this one back and use something else in the ‘fleet; for a few weeks.

Will look again at electric even though I still think that’s the wrong tech and we don’t have a charger here. Free at work (government policy apparently) to encourage take-up of eVehicles.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:52 am

Well i suppose a short term purchase would solve the problem, but if delivery dates keep slipping....🤔

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:31 pm

Looks like the parts shortage is spreading into Spartanburg made vehicles as well. The latest touchscreen shortage (together with reverse parking, all round cameras, lumbar supports, auto-tailgate etc) is biting the X3, X4, X5 and X6. From last week many models have had functionality and options removed. Dealers seem to be in the dark and there is a lack of transparency from BMW themselves. New owners are finding the car they ordered isn’t what turns up and are walking away rather than accepting a de-specced car - can’t exactly blame them.

Although BMW are offering ‘small’ rebates just covering the component now missing, owners are cancelling orders globally as non-lease owners start to realise that the cost when sold used is likely to be many times the rebate. I’ve seen a suggestion that although removing touchscreen functionality (and it can’t be retrofitted later) has a £500 rebate, the impact in 2 or more years time could be nearer £3k as prospective used buyers cotton onto the car not being as well equipped as the glossy brochure might lead them to believe.

This means that in a couple of years time any prospective BMW used car buyer will need to be very very careful to check the build spec as the unscrupulous side of the used car business will either not have a clue, or won’t know to check, or will obfuscate, and new owners could end up being stung even more than usual!

Definitely not the time to be ordering anything, and likely to be this way well into 2022 (possibly 2023). The factories are almost back at full production however the backlogs are huge and the motor industry model that depends upon JIT has the biggest problem getting hold of inventory as it doesn’t order enough far enough ahead..

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:22 pm

Spec undoubtedly very important given the huge cost of these vehicles and owners expectations these days so there are going to be a lot of pre-reg povvo spec ones flooding the nearly new market soon by the sound of it as orders dry up . :D

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:36 am

Already seen this on a couple of x5's for sale with a feature / option described as:
Air suspension delete

So careful reading and buyer beware will be even more important going forward.