Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbies that only pass through.

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:37 pm

Maybe its just me being old and curmudgeonly?

Looking back over 'recent times' it seems a fair number of new "members" buy a vehicle with problems, register, dive in with a question or more, get help then just bugger off :(

Not really good form or in the spirit of any forum I'd have thought.

Apologies if i'm just being grumpy.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:51 pm

It’s fine to be grumpy. We’ve noticed a significant drop in ‘traffic’ over the recent past. Things have definitely changed over the years. The Forum used to be alive with banter, silliness, mods to cars and even the occasional ‘it’s broke, how do I fix it?’ Perhaps the owners of the day live on social media these days. This is by far the best UK resource for BMW X Owners that I know of and long may it continue.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:10 pm

I am very happy to be here and hope to continue indefinitely. That said my tinkering and improvements days have probably peaked now. I kind of have split 'loyalties' too, with a VW in the mix nowadays. What i find irritating, is people joining any forum just to glean information and then simply buggering off when their need is satisfied. Its a bit like pillaging.

No forum input, just self centered harvesting of info then off they go.

Grumpy mode fully on!

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:44 pm

Most forums are the same facebook has taken over for a lot of things .

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:29 am

Leslie wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:44 pm Most forums are the same facebook has taken over for a lot of things .
I don't doubt that social media has changed forum participation, my issue is what i regard as selfish seeking of help with no further subsequent involvement.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:03 pm

I see on other forums I'm on now if they have a facebook part it gets 95% of the traffic , you tend to get an answer quicker though it may not always be the right one :rofl:

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:41 pm

My gripe is that there is often no indication which of the suggested fixes worked. Or not.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:05 pm

That is frustrating I agree. Knowing whether a hint or tip actually worked is a massive help at a time of crisis.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:27 am

I totally agree a simple "Thank You" or "Great Help" would go along way but then general social manners have declined over the last 25 years I guess Social Media has a part to play but can't be the sole cause?
Even our kids are noticing it and they are only in their 40's the pub near our daughter re-opened recently with a wonderful sign in the garden
it reads " We Don't Have Wifi, Pretend it's 1995 Talk to each other"

sp3ctre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:24 am

Greydog wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:27 am the pub near our daughter re-opened recently with a wonderful sign in the garden
it reads " We Don't Have Wifi, Pretend it's 1995 Talk to each other"
I saw a funny response to that along the lines of “set your prices to 1995 rates and we’d be happy to”.

I think some of the issue is social media, as you said, but equally some of the issue is the lack of activity on the forum. There is a threshold where activity breeds activity but unfortunately it is hard to get there. I have a few things in mind so hopefully traffic will grow and with that you will find people stick around more.
[/quote]