Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuel prices rising by the week now it seems

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:08 pm

An i4 would be about the size we need but sadly I struggle to even get into the 4-series (having a broken neck 12 years ago means limited range of motion) plus I’m 6’ 4”. But yes I get the point. Our fuel bill is now around £190/month for the 2-series and would be (if we used it all the time) £400 for the X6.

It’s going to be another 3-4 years before an electric 3-series arrives (except in China who for some reason get it this year) and that I can get into (in Touring guise as it has a higher roofline).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:30 pm

Electric may be cheap ( for now ) but just wait till it's the main fuel for cars then the government will just tax the car charging tarrif to death , it's just too easy for them now with separate tarrifs . I think the depreciation on electric cars currently is fairly savage even by new cars standards due to battery lifetime concerns and being tied to the dealer for ever and fear of the unknown. The batteries are warrantied for 8 years currently then you are on your own so this is the built in life of the car , who in their right mind would chance one after that ? :rofl: Plus when there was a 5k grant the price was artificially high with most seeming to cost £31995 as you didn't get a subsidy over that price .
A leaf is really much the same as a nissan micra and should not be much more expensive :headbang:
BMW is likely using china to iron out the bugs on the cars before sale in the west :D

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:51 pm

I had noticed that the GFV on electric is much lower than ICE powered, and no I too would think very carefully about a used EV unless it was almost new. Mind you that may make them affordable, coz they’re really expensive new.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:24 pm

Did anybody actually get te 5p/litre fuel saving for real ? ,was told the local tesco raised the price at 4pm a couple of pence then took the 5p of at 6pm again :headbang: :fuelfire: still the cheapest though at £1.68 for diesel.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:30 pm

Was out yesterday, one station had diesel at 1.89.9 another at 1.92.9, so no reductions visible to me. Too many bandits ripping us off. 😡

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:55 pm

One local station has dropped its diesel by 1p. I haven't noticed any of the others dropping it at all, in fact a couple have put it up since Rishi's announcement. :o
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:16 pm

So, post reduction retailers overcharge us and pay HMRC less, sounds about right 😠

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:20 pm

Sadly it’s always the way. Retailer whack the prices up instantly and take forever to bring them back down again. Even when their last delivery wasn’t at a higher price they still charge as if it was, and when it comes back down but they don’t it’s all ‘running costs have gone up, staff costs and site costs and’ yada yada. Welcome to rampant exploitism.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:52 pm

A few round here are charging £1:90/litre , id imagine tumbleweeds are blowing round the forecourts these days :fuelfire: The price of oil is still high at $120 so I don't think we will see much of a drop anytime soon , first time in a long time I didn't fill it right up put in £60 in case it drops a bit next week but that maybe wishfull thinking . :D Mr Biden is sending some gas to Europe maybe he could send some cheap oil too :rofl:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:33 am

Another 5p /L on the diesel here this week 177.9 now and petrol getting expensive now too closing the gap. I think we are going too see 2 quid a litre in the near future :fuelfire: Starting to look about at cheap runarounds to save some cash on fuel which is already 300/ month now :driving:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:10 am

My commuting bill is now at the £300 a month point. Diesel is 184.9. Petrol still around 170/l. We keep refuelling at the 1/2 tank so as to avoid the £100 limit.

Some of our staff are already asking for extra days WFH because they’re struggling with the commuting costs.

Sadly I think it will go well above £2/l now the Chinese lockdowns are over and even if the mess in Eastern Europe does get sorted, Russian fuel is still going to be embargoed. There isn’t the refining capacity in Europe or the US because of lack of investment, so demand isn’t going to fall away. I get we need to ‘go green’, but we aren’t ready anywhere in the world (never mind the UK). I saw that the sole remaining coal fired power station is staying open for another 2-3 years.

BMW are planning that 50% of the production of the i4 from Munich from next year. That’s 450 per day (currently about 300/day) and the backlog is still 12-months!! I’m not expecting to get a build slot before the end of the year.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:39 am

Not hard to see the appeal of home working now if you had a long commute the time and money saved would make sure a difference. :driving:
I think I read Germany were reopening coal power stations too got to do whatever it takes to reduce gas and oil usage, If they brought back the scheme for solar panels to supply to the grid 'd think I'd get some as our electric will now be 300/quarter after the latest increase. :headbang:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:14 pm

We’re thinking hard about adding solar but with a half decent storage battery the cost is between £15k & £20k. Too much for us without getting a new mortgage.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:02 pm

I think the storage is just too expensive just the panels would be enough for me and supplying the grid you get some money back (5p a unit or so) or used to before they withdrew it but they only work 6 months of the year being realistic. Would payback in 5 years or so way thing are going :thumbsup:
Cost about 6k for a 4kw system a couple of years ago a friend got it installed.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:55 pm

249.9 in Kensington for diesel :o as they say Dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask !!!!!!! Tesco still the cheapest here at 177.9 and very busy indeed when I passed suspect they must be getting tankers by the hour these days :lol: Other stations quite a bit more but none hitting the 2 pound meltdown price yet thankfully :fuelfire:

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-petrol ... fWMxT209aY