Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

PCP deals are bad on this model

Discuss anything to do with the BMW X1 (F48). Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:35 pm

We’re looking to replace our current F46, 2-series Gran Tourer 7-seat with something. We were looking to get another F46 but have just found that BMW have pulled the plug on the current version (no new orders accepted) and there will be no replacement in the G-series.

As an option we looked at the X1 LCI and we’re horrified to find that the residuals are so poor that we could have a current X3 MSport 2.0d brand new (a spec costing more than £6k more than an X1 MSport 2.0d) for £100 a month less! We don’t need an X3 (already have an X6) so have kicked that into touch.

If you are considering an X1 you may be in for a nasty shock if buying on a PCP. It seems that no one wants them - and the current model will be replaced next year.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:48 am

Do you not think that the whole of the motor industry is up in the air at the moment, along with other sectors.
From component shortages right through to used car sales/availability.
Personally if it was me wanting a new deal etc I'd wait until things settle/ level out, if that ever happens, unless of course you think you're getting a good deal.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:20 am

I agree that the deals that were there a couple of years back have indeed gone, and I don’t think there is a ‘good deal’ out there, but it still seemed (to me) daft that a cheaper car was more expensive to put on PCP with the same deposits and terms by £1,000 a year! That shows just how poor the market is at present as you rightly point out.

I’m not in any rush as we have a year to go, and it was BMW who came to us saying “we’d like to buy your car and do a deal”. They are getting desperate foe sales of used an new. Not desperate enough though :D

The component shortage is affecting all brands, some worse than others, and affecting lead times. An EU made X1 is on 4 months and the US made X3 is 6 months whereas a couple of years back it was around 8-10 weeks. It’s the lead time that could have an impact. We’re going to see what the deals for the 2-series Active Tourer look like once info becomes available as that range is our preferred one, but if not then it’s very likely to be that we walk away and save for later when/if the market settles again.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:13 pm

I guess the x1 is just too small and not desirable enough for people given how much it costs , Pcp is all about how how much it is worth at the end so the x3 sounds like a better deal not that there are many good deals at the minute as they are tapping into pent up demand this will soon disappear as things get back to normal though .