Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery charger recommendation

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:11 pm

Seeing as I'm currently recovering from covid I've not been using the x5 and unfortunately the battery has gone flat, I've got an optimate charger that I used to use on my bike but I don't think its man enough for the 4.6.
What do you guys use to keep your battery tip top.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:22 pm

I use a CTEK MXS10, 10A intelligent charger for charging the X6 and the MXS5 (5.0A) on the E46. The E46 is left on charge whilst in storage (usually at least 6 months) and there’s never been an issue. It has an 019 format battery, the same as my E53 & E71 have.

If your battery has been dead for a while it may not recover.

Hope you recover really soon. It’s still a scary time whether jabbed or otherwise - especially for those with a reason they can’t have the jab. I have to take a Lateral Flow Test twice a week (not the most pleasant of experiences).

The Optimate might be able to at least put something in, but it would probably take a while. I still have mine even though I was banned from motorcycling in 2011 due to a spinal injury. It was good kit I remember.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:47 pm

I've been looking at the ctek for a while now, but you know how it is, always putting it off for another day, well if nothing else, covid has taught me that don't keep putting things off, as you never know what's around the corner, even if you've had both jabs and been very very careful, (like me ), it can still get you, and it's bloody scary, especially when they ask you if your next of kin details are correct.
My partner was starting the x5 whilst I was in hospital, and I've started it since coming home, but I went to start it this morning and it wouldn't even unlock on the button.
I've jump started it and will leave it running for a bit before attaching the optimate, hopefully that will keep it going whilst I get on and order the ctek.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:08 am

I would put the Optimate on it and give it a go.
It might not charge it fast but i don't think you are in a rush but it will charge it in time.
Is the Optimate one of the intelligent type chargers or smart whatever they call them.
If it is just leave it on.

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:16 am

Alan Gunn wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:08 am I would put the Optimate on it and give it a go.
It might not charge it fast but i don't think you are in a rush but it will charge it in time.
Is the Optimate one of the intelligent type chargers or smart whatever they call them.
If it is just leave it on.
It's on there now to see what it can do, I've ordered a ctek anyway, so I should have options if the optimate wont bring it back to full charge.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:32 am

+ 1 on the Ctek MXS5 old now but really works well

Most important get well hope you have a full recovery

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:56 am

Greydog wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:32 am + 1 on the Ctek MXS5 old now but really works well

Most important get well hope you have a full recovery
Thank you