Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Radio

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Radio

Post by henrym3 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:29 pm

As posted elsewhere I’m fitting an Android HU. I have fitted DAB which is excellent and I haven’t even moved out of the garage BUT the normal radio is beyond poor, I don’t even think the vehicle antenna is connected and the aerial leads in the boot are confusing (to me). Can anyone offer advice on what connects to what before going forward to the HU.

Greydog

Radio

Post by Greydog » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:50 pm

What are you needing Henry?
The antenna is in the spoiler and there is an interference suppressor in each side. The radio antenna lead is a blue Fakra connector where the BM54 radio unit there are 2 SMB connectors for the TV unit in the loom on the right hand side of the Battery with the White and Blue TV connectors. In the left Cubby there is the Nav SMA antenna connecter and the Mauve Fakra antenna for the Bluetooth
Nav Radio and Telephone all use the Antenna unit in the rear spoiler.
When I fitted the Dynavin in the 4.4 I just brought 5m extensions Male/Female SMA for the Nav ISO for the Radio and standard Video/Audio cables. and taped them into the extension loom. In the boot I used a Fakra to ISO connector and the Dynavin TV unit used the SMB TV antenna connectors
I have a wiring diagram if it is any use?

The 4.6is is all OEM still and working (stupid thing to boast about)

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Radio

Post by henrym3 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:07 pm

I have some sort of a small box just above the amp with 2 antenna. In fact forget what I said, I’ll take some pics tomorrow and post them and see if you can offer advice

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Radio

Post by henrym3 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:46 pm

Ok took a few pics
74B8E5DA-DE14-4DFD-8E4A-DD0B4AD3B617.jpeg
74B8E5DA-DE14-4DFD-8E4A-DD0B4AD3B617.jpeg (133.41 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
6B10F671-1C35-4827-A425-C34523E266DD.jpeg
6B10F671-1C35-4827-A425-C34523E266DD.jpeg (130.82 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
Even unplugged the cable in the boot and no change of sound. On the box where are those 2 leads coming from or going to.

Greydog

Radio

Post by Greydog » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:49 am

Morning Henry
I believe the first picture is Telephone GSM booster (mauve connectors) did your car originally have a phone in the armrest. The second picture the Blue Fakrs connector is the radio antenna
You will need a Fakra to ISO converter (if that is what your new radio accepts) then an ISO Ariel lead then your signal should come from the Antenna in the spoiler.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Radio

Post by henrym3 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:14 pm

Thanks for the info, it did have the telephone cable in the armrest which I replaced with an iPhone lead to usb. I’ll fiddle and get back to you. I’m working on the reverse camera atm. It works fine but I had the PDC integrated showing the radar distances on the Dynavin and now with the Xtrons their gone. They are somehow worked of the canbus. Should have payed more attention when stripping the Dynavin out.

Greydog

Radio

Post by Greydog » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:30 am

We are all so much smarter after the event :rofl:
Does the new unit have the same support as the Dynavin ?

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Radio

Post by henrym3 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:35 pm

I haven’t had reason to call them as yet, reading other threads it would appear they are not as supportive. I have had some problems but mostly caused by myself where I had some feature I liked and then it disappeared. My history with computers suggest it’s finger problem on my part and so far that has been the case. The Resler app and module are quite impressive restoring all the OBC functions and lots more. For example mirrors fold on locking the car and unfold on start. DLR can be whatever you want front sidelights and or fogs and or taillights. I like the warnings for doors/windows/bonnet/tailgate/sunroof open. Comfort blinking and you can set how many blinks. Android radio is very quick to download, good picture, suffers the same problem they all do with sunlight reflections, needs a hood.
Having set everything up in the garage where it connects to the household WiFi it is then somewhat disappointing out on the road where you loose a lot of the facilities. I can tether the phone to it but you only get a picture the size of the phone picture which is unnaturally annoying. So the answer is CarPlay but I haven’t persuaded myself to spend the money for one yet. No doubt I’ll fiddle some more and eventually loose the rag and buy one.