Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW ETK no longer available

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:59 pm

Our much loved resources that provide access to the BMW parts database across many websites (RealOEM, BMWFans, BMWETK etc) will no longer be updated.

BMW have made it a Dealer only tool for which you need access names and passwords. It used to be issued on disk every three months but that has been stopped and it’s now on line only. I’m trying to find a link to see what is available. The last release was mid 2020 though I have yet to find one open to all. There could be some torrent copies but I’m very wary of such in case they come with ‘added value’ inclusions including viruses or ransomware.

Most sites are now only current to Dec 2019 and that means any models produced after that, or part numbers that have been updated, revised, or gone end of life etc will not be discoverable.

It seems that BMW are determined to make life as hard as possible for owners. The online services may have occasionally been a month or two behind - though many were up to date - but now they will all increasingly become of little use other than for historic data.

Another sad loss.

EDIT - I have found what might be useful: bmwsupply[.]co[.]uk it looks right but I haven’t delved far yet. It does include BMW prices (and they’re eyewateringly expensive!). It doesn’t however list all of the parts and their numbers on the slides, only those parts they supply.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:13 pm

So much of life is governed by the big conglomerates in these scenario's. Yes i understand all about the rules and protecting your rights etc.

Owning a 2009 car i'll probably be OK generally, but to disallow owners of their product the abilityto source parts data is lamentable to say the least, its also short sighted. With my access to it i discovered parts, retrofits etc i would otherwise never have known about and not purchased from BMW.

Ultimately its simply brand offputting imo 😐

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:12 pm

The parts department in dealers will be much more busy trying to find parts for their customers who want that bolt just under the big round bit in the front suspension. The part number cut down the time on the phone and got you the part you wanted

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:12 am

Well that's a shame realoem etc was great for part numbers for ordering.

marti

Post by marti » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:25 am

It is not just BMW,
Chrysler Fiat have now started to lock the OBD ports down on newer cars so all you can do as a non franchise garage is read fault codes, you can not clear them or code new components in to the ECU without buying a 24 hour licence and yes, it is within the terms of the total disclosure act, somehow?????

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:45 pm

X5Sport wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:59 pm Our much loved resources that provide access to the BMW parts database across many websites (RealOEM, BMWFans, BMWETK etc) will no longer be updated.

BMW have made it a Dealer only tool for which you need access names and passwords. It used to be issued on disk every three months but that has been stopped and it’s now on line only. I’m trying to find a link to see what is available. The last release was mid 2020 though I have yet to find one open to all. There could be some torrent copies but I’m very wary of such in case they come with ‘added value’ inclusions including viruses or ransomware.

Most sites are now only current to Dec 2019 and that means any models produced after that, or part numbers that have been updated, revised, or gone end of life etc will not be discoverable.

It seems that BMW are determined to make life as hard as possible for owners. The online services may have occasionally been a month or two behind - though many were up to date - but now they will all increasingly become of little use other than for historic data.

Another sad loss.

EDIT - I have found what might be useful: bmwsupply[.]co[.]uk it looks right but I haven’t delved far yet. It does include BMW prices (and they’re eyewateringly expensive!). It doesn’t however list all of the parts and their numbers on the slides, only those parts they supply.
damn! that'll be a bummer!

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:43 am

so I'm in need of replacing my high mounted tail light (water ingress).

RealOEM is no more. :headbang:
EPC is the new baseline apparently, but that's a dealer only tool. :evil:

any other options before calling the dealer?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:43 pm

If your car was built before Nov/Dec 2019 then Realoem will know about it. What it won’t know is whether there is a later version of that part, but you can at least find an older number to see if there’s a later one elsewhere - if that makes any sense?

BMW have also started reusing the last 7 of VINs again (the first part remains unique), hence VIN decoders now wanting the full VIN as the system might otherwise pull up the wrong car. I think this only affects ‘vintage’ models such as the E36 and earlier - BMW presumably assuming not many of its cars from then are still alive and working.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:42 pm

X5Sport wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:43 pmBMW have also started reusing the last 7 of VINs again (the first part remains unique), hence VIN decoders now wanting the full VIN as the system might otherwise pull up the wrong car. I think this only affects ‘vintage’ models such as the E36 and earlier - BMW presumably assuming not many of its cars from then are still alive and working.
bmwfans still recognises my 1990-built E30 from the last 7 digits. I doubt any of the parts still available for that one have a "later condition" part number. Obviously, that's not to say BMW aren't going to re-use that particular combination of 2 alphas and 5 numerics sometime soon.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:11 pm

Don’t worry, they’ll get to you…. :P :P