Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I Did It

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Scoobycue

I Did It

Post by Scoobycue » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:31 pm

Right, I've jumped in and bought MY2006 3.0d with the dreaded sunroof (it works perfectly) 80k on the clock.
I've booked it in for a service and to change all the filters. I've also added a fluid flush for both the brakes and the power steering.
My only concern is that the power steering makes some whiney noises when cold. Am I better off replacing the pump and reservoir or just doing the fluid flush?

Hoping some of you guys can advise
TIA

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I Did It

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:15 pm

Glad you found a good(ish) one. Changing the PAS reservoir likely will have no effect. Get the system flushed as that’s the simplest - and probably cheapest - solution. It may just be old fluid as I don’t think BMW change it as part of any servicing now. My 2005 E53 had it done at two years but then that (along with coolant changes) got dropped as BMW felt it was unnecessary - not that the servicing got cheaper mind you!

Brake fluid is on a 2-year change cycle and you should get an amber warning (square symbol with a clock from memory) on the dash if it needs doing, but given it’s unknown status, worth doing.

If someone is going under the car then get the rear solid brake lines checked as there is a corrosion trap around the rear wheel arches and where the lines run forward.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

I Did It

Post by Leslie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:23 pm

Whiny power steering more likely to be belt or pulley

Scoobycue

I Did It

Post by Scoobycue » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:40 pm

X5Sport wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:15 pm Glad you found a good(ish) one. Changing the PAS reservoir likely will have no effect. Get the system flushed as that’s the simplest - and probably cheapest - solution. It may just be old fluid as I don’t think BMW change it as part of any servicing now. My 2005 E53 had it done at two years but then that (along with coolant changes) got dropped as BMW felt it was unnecessary - not that the servicing got cheaper mind you!

Brake fluid is on a 2-year change cycle and you should get an amber warning (square symbol with a clock from memory) on the dash if it needs doing, but given it’s unknown status, worth doing.

If someone is going under the car then get the rear solid brake lines checked as there is a corrosion trap around the rear wheel arches and where the lines run forward.
I do know the last owner has had it from 2019 and done only a handful of city miles. Average speed is currently on 10.5mph.
No lights on the dash but for peace of mind thought I'd change the lot.
I'll definitely get him to check the brake lines another one for his list lol.

Scoobycue

I Did It

Post by Scoobycue » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 pm

Leslie wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:23 pm Whiny power steering more likely to be belt or pulley
Definitely didn't sound like it was the belt or the pulley more internal.