Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EGR and exhaust cooler delete (with DPF)?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:49 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at installing an EGR bypass and blanking off/removing the exhaust cooler and its thermostat from my dad's E70 3.0D. I can see Darkside Developments does a dedicated kit (https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/ ... -pipe.html) but presume it will also need a remap to map the EGR out.

The last car I did this too was my E46 330D and it ran a lots better and cleaner, BUT that car had no DPF as standard and the X5 does. Therefore does anyone know if this is a good/bad idea or has done this already to their X5? Or is it best left on to preserve the life of the DPF.

Also, does anyone know a good remap service in the Yorkshire area?

Andrew

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:37 pm

I would assume that with nothing there to help burn the soot in the exhaust stream removing the EGR will pass the workload into the DPF to deal with, but that’s an assumption. If it’s correct then that implies it could well shorten the life of the DPF as it will need to regen more often. I just don’t know how much exhaust gas (in terms of volume) actually goes to the EGR. It may not be a huge amount so may not make a significant difference. Whether theory matches real world only someone such as Darkside would know from experience or an owner on here who did it and still has the car long after.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:57 pm

UPDATE: Darkside suggests doing both and both will need mapping out, but no guarantees it will pass the MOT with the DPF removed.

In which case it seems the sensible option is to retain both it seems.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:03 pm

MOT Testers are getting better at spotting ‘sooty’ tailpipes and that would definitely alert them to look closer at the exhaust system.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:48 pm

I definitely would not remove a working Dpf and further mot tightening could see a proper test that only a working one could pass , the current system is a joke all the testers know it isn't working if the tailpipes are sooted up but there is little they can do if the actual casing is still there despite it being empty ! :headbang:

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:45 am

yeah - you're right. I'd rather not risk being non-compliant after spending a load of money