Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag Problem

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
kena

Airbag Problem

Post by kena » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:50 am

Hi everyone
I recently fitted an Android 10.25 head unit to replace the standard screen in my 2012 E71 X6
A couple of days after the install i get Crash Safety Module error codes:
93AB Advanced Crash Safety Module (ACSM) Passenger Airbag Stage 1
93B3 Advanced Crash Safety Module (ACSM) Passenger Airbag Stage 2
Probably a coincidence with the Android install but during that install i moved the passenger seat quite a bit.
I have since rechecked all wiring and connections, fitted a passenger seat occupancy sensor bypass (which didn't work and was unable to clear the codes so removed it)
Fitted a replacement airbag control module, with the same part number as the one fitted, purchased from ebay. Again didn't work and couldn't clear the codes so refitted old one.
I know absolutely zilch about newish cars and their computers etc. I can drive them being retired traffic police but know nothing about them. In my day it was all points and plugs etc :D (2.8 Ford Granadas & 3.5 V8 Rovers)
Anyone have any ideas what these codes may be referring. I have it booked into my indy next week.
Thanks again.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Airbag Problem

Post by X5Sport » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:16 pm

2.8 Granada and the old Rover SD1….those were the days when I drove them too (as a Police radio engineer though). We also had (and crashed) the first XR4i too.

The module you bought second hand may have come from a crashed car so won’t clear the problem. I’ve seen a suggestion of putting a 2.1Ihm resistor into the pair for the airbag to see if that knocks out the warning light (which eliminates the airbag) but if that doesn’t work you may need a new (not used) module.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kena

Airbag Problem

Post by kena » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:28 am

Thanks for the reply X5Sport. I think the emulator is supposed to do the same thing as the resistor. I did ask the question if the module was error code and fault free and was told it was but i guess you can't believe everything from ebay. It was only £19 so worth a try before it goes to the indy.
I remember chasing a stolen XR4i after a ram raid, couldn't get anywhere near it in the Granada as the XR4i was 4 wheel drive. Quite an innovation at the time.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Airbag Problem

Post by Leslie » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:20 pm

The module would likely need to be coded before your car will recognise it these days , I did fit an airbag ecu to my 330d (2001) years ago it was the same model and make and I got away without coding but I doubt you could these days on a 2012 car :thumbsup: Airbag modules can be fault cleared after a crash too there are people out there who do it :D

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Airbag Problem

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 pm

kena wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:28 am I remember chasing a stolen XR4i after a ram raid, couldn't get anywhere near it in the Granada as the XR4i was 4 wheel drive. Quite an innovation at the time.
They were indeed. We had a couple of Lotus Carlton’s too. Now those were crazy fast! I don’t think anyone else could get insurance on them. We were converting to Senators when I moved on
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Airbag Problem

Post by Leslie » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:02 am

X5Sport wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 pm We had a couple of Lotus Carlton’s too. Now those were crazy fast!
Bloody hell :o those were the fastest car in their day reminds me of 40RA the ram raiding one the police couldn't catch and made the government of the day try to ban them as unsafe :driving: 40RA was never found wonder what happened it :(

kena

Airbag Problem

Post by kena » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:36 am

Thanks for the help. I had read that second hand with the same part number was pot luck. Some have said they worked without coding and others have said they had to get it coded. I have the latest versions of inpa+/d & p but would need to research how to do it. I have only ever used it for bleeding the brakes after changing all the discs and pads and flushing the fluid. Best leave well alone and let my indy sort it.

When I left the force, which was early through an injury on duty, I was on the ARV which at the time was a 3.0ltr Senator.

kena

Airbag Problem

Post by kena » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Update: Fitted the replacement module but still had the same codes showing. Put the old module back in and had an auto electrician look at it. He found the problem in about 15 mins. It was a loose connector that looked as if it was going to the centre speaker in the top middle of the dash immediately behind the screen. It was staring me in the face all the time but the wire colours didn't match the wiring diagram i have.
All fixed now.