Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UK/GB marked Number Plate changes

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:05 pm

For those of you travelling abroad and who have the blue strip with UK/GB and the EU circle on it on either front or back this is now invalid abroad. You will either need new plates or display a GB oval separately (and cover up the old marking) in order not to be fined when driving abroad.

Some countries are likely to be less 'understanding' than others and may therefore deprive you of a few Euros!!

Announcement from 2020:
On Monday, 30th November 2020, the government announced that as a result of Brexit, number plates with GB EU flags can no longer be fitted to vehicles from 1st January 2021. Existing GB EU plates can continue but must also show a GB oval overseas travel.

Can I still display my existing GB EU flag plate after 1st January 2021?
There is no need to remove your existing GB EU flag plate, providing it was/is fitted before 1st January 2021. However, if you intend to travel to the EU in your vehicle, you will need to also display a GB oval.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:32 pm

EU beaurocracy at its worst. What utter bo££ox. The very style of UK plates, which afaik are exclusive anyway should surely be enough. I'm pleased we're out but the desire to make life difficult post brexit is petty in the extreme 😔

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:19 am

Either I misunderstood some of the online info on the latest GB identification requirement, or there are conflicting reports out there. :?

I'm sure I've read somewhere, online, in the last few days that the EU requirement for UK registered cars driving in EU territories is solely for blue "UK" strips (not "GB") and without EU stars, in or on the left-hand end of both reg. plates. The way I understood it the good old white oval with black "GB" stuck on the rear of the car isn't EU-legal.

TBH it's not going to affect me until at least 2023 now. We took the decision to indefinitely postpone our (already regularly postponed since 2016) Italian road-trip due to not wanting to be off-shore if/when something age-related happens to one or other of the in-laws, and we've already booked-up for Cornwall next year.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:08 am

This would make a lot more sense :)

If correct someone will doubtless now start offering blue 'UK' overlay stickers, which would also make sense :thumbsup:

But that said, historically we've always displayed GB, not UK 🤔

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:45 am

This..... click here ...............has been published in the last 24hrs.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:05 pm

Overlay stickers it will be then 🙄

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:51 pm

Apparently, the change from "GB" to "UK" is because Great Britain doesn't include Northern Ireland but United Kingdom does.
sapphireblack wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:05 pmOverlay stickers it will be then 🙄
UK oval for me. No room on my short plates for the blue band, and I'm not buying new plates for what will probably be a once-only trip, if it ever does happen.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:57 am

Just reading an update and it seems this is not EU pettiness but is in fact our government bringing about the change :roll: