Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Unbelievable Jeff

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Scoobycue

Unbelievable Jeff

Post by Scoobycue » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:27 pm

Had my mechanic give Tank a full service and going over today. It looks like we have a real good car (touches some wood) . Clearly BMW do not count a pollen filter as a serviceable item. The date on the old pollen filter was 2012 🥺
Needless to say it won't be waiting that long to ever be changed again. The air filter didn't look much better either. Black as Newgates knocker.
The power steering flush was a huge success, curing the whiney noises completely. I also changed the brake fluid as well. No noticeable difference but piece of mind none the less.
The oil filter once removed was collapsing in on itself. This is why I've never agreed with high mileage oil intervals and this makes the point. I change mine every year or 8000 miles whichever comes first.
Lastly I put on a new set of tyres to complete my tlc for Tank. The car drives superbly now, exactly as it should. Just shows highlights how important servicing is. 😎

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Unbelievable Jeff

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:07 am

Jeff =Tank = X5?

lezmtaylor

Unbelievable Jeff

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:37 am

Good news for you.
I always change the oil filter when I do the annual oil change.
Have covered 310 miles in last 12 months, so may break my own rule and leave oil and filter change till next year.

Lez

StuBeeDoo

Unbelievable Jeff

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:32 pm

Mine does c.6k between oil & filter changes, 18k air & pollen filters, and 2 years fuel filter and brake fluid. The first job I had done after buying the car at 6yrs/72k was transmission/transfer box/diffs oil change. The ZF approved company I used said the transmission should be done at 50k or 3 years. It's gone over the 3 years now, but only about 34k - I really should get it done soon.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Unbelievable Jeff

Post by Leslie » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:56 pm

If the oil filter was collapsing when was the last recorded oil change out of interest ? :D My inside cabin pollen filter on the x5 was the one it left the factory with in 2009 when I removed it in 2019 I think it was :rofl: Stragely they were made of what looks like a hard plastic matrix not paper and had gone brittle and split in half so wasn't causing much resistance :D

Greydog

Unbelievable Jeff

Post by Greydog » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:05 am

If the oil filter was collapsing what state is the fuel filter in :o