Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Olliefrom83

Tyres

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:53 am

Morning

The X needs a new set of boots all around, I currently have Bridgestone Dueler star marked run flats all around.
The wheels are 19” staggered

Just wondering what people have stuck on theirs?

Is it possible to put non run flats on the car without messing up anything? As I find the run flats rather harsh.

Main thing is am I asking for trouble if I say stuck Bridgestone dueler non run flats on? Or will only the runflats offer the exact rolling radius to stop damage to running gear.

Thanks in advance

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tyres

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:32 am

You can fit non-run flats without problems. I think there’s a * version, but check sizes. You may just need to bump the pressures up a bit.

I’ve got Continental ContiSport Contact 5 on the E46 and X6. Seem fine. I had Bridgestones on for the last set and they lasted about 15,000 miles and would have gone longer had it not been for a damaged tyre meaning the whole set needed changing because of the tread depth difference changing just one would have caused issues.

The car came with Dunlop SportMaxx and they were very short lifed and wore out very quickly.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Olliefrom83

Tyres

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:47 am

Thanks X5Sport

I have been looking all morning, and can find non runflats in correct spec for the rear, however the fronts 255/50R19 I can’t find the right load index, it should be 107 and all I can find is 103,

Is that going to be an issue? As that’s a bit of weight difference for each tyre

Cheers

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tyres

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:27 pm

You mustn’t go below the numbers on the tyre plate for the relevant sizes. You can go higher though.

Olliefrom83

Tyres

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:28 pm

Looks like I can get the right specs in the Bridgestone Potenza sport. They seem to have a good write up. Might give them a try

Cheers

Olliefrom83

Tyres

Post by Olliefrom83 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 am

Hi
Before I waste any money, has anyone tried the Bridgestone Potenza sport non rft tyre? Anyone got them fitted?
Or am I asking for trouble? I need to change in the next few days as I have some strange uneven wear, front outters bald, rear inners bald and about 5mm of tread of the rest of all tyres. I will be getting 4 wheel alignment done.

Cheers

Ollie

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyres

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:38 pm

Olliefrom83 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 am Hi
I have some strange uneven wear, front outters bald, rear inners bald and about 5mm of tread of the rest of all tyres. I will be getting 4 wheel alignment done.

Cheers

Ollie
Typical x5 wear especially if tyre pressure are a bit on the low side front outers get scrubbed off :driving:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tyres

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:50 pm

As above. Many X-cars seem to have left the factory only just within the correct settings, and any change of tyres should have an alignment check done as soon as possible after a new set is fitted. The state of UK rioads doesn't help much either.

I have always run my tyres as per the plate (~32psi) and haven't had an issue with the X6 however my E53 had the wear pattern you describe above even at correct pressures. It never had an alignment though - I wasn't aware of this Forum back then!!

Olliefrom83

Tyres

Post by Olliefrom83 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:08 pm

The car hasn’t had alignment done in ownership, my E53 use to wear the inner rears, but not as bad as this. Hopefully the alignment will give the new tyres a slightly better chance at a longer life.
I assumed the uneven wear was down to poor alignment due to the fact that my wife seems to find every single pot hole in Sussex to drive into.

Olliefrom83

Tyres

Post by Olliefrom83 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:17 am

Morning

Had the tyres replaced all around, went with Goodyear eagle F1 runflats. So far so good.
Booked in for hunter alignment also.

Now I have a slightly different issue, the fuel gauge has suddenly started going up and down slightly (two to three segments) when the car is stopped, and the miles to empty goes up and down at the same time, sit at lights and can watch the gauge going up and down slowly and the miles start dropping off then coming back up again and then back down again.

Does this mean the fuel level sensor is on the way out?
Or maybe slight corrosion on contacts? I have 7 seater so not sure how to get to the top of the tank to check.

It seems to have started in last couple of days since we had torrential rain.

Cheers

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tyres

Post by X5Sport » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:17 am

The access is by removing the base of the middle row of seats. Could be a dodgy float or wiring. Wires are the first checkipoint as that's simple to do (once you get the seat base off), and dampness under the seat can lead to corrosion. The float is part of a complete assembly.

The seat lifts from the front edge upwards towards the rear . Note if you have a bench then it may be as the 5 seater (5-seater goes the other way). If you have rear seat heating then remember the plugs!

Tank electrics access is under hatches below the seat base, there is a level sensor each side (left & right).