Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Horn failure

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Horn failure

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:30 pm

Discovered today only one horn is working, sounds like it should be coming from a BMW Isetta more than an X6. Surprised no note on Mondays MOT but maybe its failed since?

Noticed also what looks like water stains on the silver door trims inside, anyone else have this? Seems it will polish off but I'm mindful when i booked the MOT dealership said they would sterilize all surfaces touched by technicians. It looks like somethings been sprayed on and left to dry?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Horn failure

Post by Leslie » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:55 pm

If any horn was working it would pass doesn't need both to be working for mot :D

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Horn failure

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:50 pm

Probably some form of wet wipe used. We’ve got them all over the office as we have to clean all desks, keyboards, phones and seats at the start and end of each working day. The Clinell ones leave what look like water marks on everything. Should just wipe off again with a slightly damp cloth.

Horn wise, you need a new ‘low pitch’ unit…. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?i ... 1337288096

Sometimes hitting it (gently) with a rubber mallet can make them work again. It could just be wet or a bad plug. Whichever side it’s on, it’s behind the fog light grille. I think there’s one behind each side (low on one, high on the other).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Horn failure

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:30 am

I have tried a water based wet wipe and a mild polish with no change so far. Duraglit later i think.
Last edited by sapphireblack on Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Horn failure

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:53 am

I’d be asking them what they used and how to get it off - or to sort it as they did it!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Horn failure

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:15 pm

I had to resort to gentle polishing with Duraglit, nothing liquid based did anything. Annoyed and I'll tell them for sure on Monday.

Investigated the feeble horn and the low tone is dead. It worked once after a tap but not again. £47 ish plus VAT apparently, serious scuffed wrists getting at them but i will at least save a half hour (or more) labour charge. I'll order one on Monday.