Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie to be (advice)

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
Rossh93

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Rossh93 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi all, Hope to be an F15 X5 owner by the start of next month. Wanted advice on a 2014 Msport 30d it’s a CAT D (I know) but for a price of 19k with full service history and 2 keys present etc, decent spec also. I’ve seen damage before and after and it’s only miner on both driver side doors…. Failing that I have found another at a local Dealer a lot more obv no bad history but £27k same year and model etc with 62k miles and a lot less spec.

Any advice would be appreciated Are these prices ok? And any advice on how much the 30d will drink and mpg etc as I was firstly considering 25d for economical reasons but I believe there’s not much between both?

Apologies if all has been mentioned and sounding like a total
Newbie !

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:00 pm

Hello and :hi:

Can’t answer which one might suit you better, but personally I’d get estimates on fixing the doors as that could prove expensive (it’s a BMW!) and is that the only issue? It might just be doorskins and paint. :)

Economy wise you’re looking at mid-30s on a run, and just under 30 around town. Given these cars weigh in at more than 2T that’s to be expected.

It’s also worth getting the last 7 characters of the VIN so you can get a decode (look for BMW VIN Decoders on line) that will give you the actual ‘as built’ spec. Dealers very often don’t know what’s actually on the car in terms of full build spec.

Main dealers will typically add £2.5k to book price because of the AUC Warranty cost (to them). Used car prices have gone nuts recently!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Rossh93

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Rossh93 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:15 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and advice, much appreciated.
I should have said the damage has been repaired. But I’d be getting a full inspection before hand to be safe.

Yeh mpg wise it’s probably better than my current cla45 which can be heavy on the juice due to the fact it’s mostly in sport mode. 😬

Yeh there very much inflated. Yeh thanks I’ll try get the vin and check that out!

Will update in the coming days but another issue with a Cat d might be insurance and later down the line resale but hopefully not for a long time. 😬

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Leslie » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi and welcome :thumbsup:
Mpg wise you will be doing well to average 30 and using sport mode a lot it will hurt economy badly.
If it was worth say 27k undamaged then it's likely to have needed a minimum of 15k estimated repairs or it would have been repaired and the B pillar was likely bent a little as damage is always worse than it looks.
Insurance will pay a lot less for it if it is damaged again the future too so something to beware of, plus most dealer won't trade it in. THese damaged repaired cars only make sense if you intend to keep it a few years :D
They are always repaired on the cheap to maximise profits I've seen a lot of wrtieoffs repaired that really should have been scrapped that didn't look too bad but the shell was twisted,. The x5 however is a very sturdy car so should be ok.

Rossh93

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Rossh93 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi Leslie

Thanks also for the comment. I should have been clearer I mean I’m always in sport with my cla45 but this will now be a daily driver and mostly motorway miles and will be mostly on comfort :roll:

So the 27k one was at the dealer undamaged, the cat d one has been repaired but like you say could be that pillar that’s been damaged too. Ideally I can get an inspection done and it works out fair as I feel if the used cars prices are insane and if it drops again I’ll be out of pocket regardless I guess.

Anything major o should check out with what I’ve already came across on this great forum ? :D

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:12 am

I bought mine as a cat D with what sounds like the same damage both driver side doors well mainly the passenger door with the smallest dint on the bottom of the driver door.
Mine is a lot older being a 2002 but loved it from day one the comfort on a long run well you will see.
As said it will always be a cat D so it's branded for life and stuck with the lower value whatever the case.
Insurance never had any problem i just insure it (saga) costs around £150 and the e90 my wife drives is around £145 there is pennies in them some times.
Get some pictures up when you get it we all like pictures.

Rossh93

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Rossh93 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:18 am

Yes absolutely there is plenty life left in them regardless! Great to hear another Cat D success story 8) I’m off to view it fully today so will take some pics and upload this afternoon.

That’s positive insurance wise also!

Thanks for all the help!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:05 am

Something to bear in mind when you go looking - tyres! Check that all 4 corners have the right type of tyres marked with a ‘*’ on the sidewall. MO or MOE is supposed to be an OK alternative. Also no tread depth difference of 2mm or greater exists between any of the tyres. Should all be the same make & type.

It’s important because of transmission wind-up threats. Lots of info in the Forum about tyres and these cars ‘sensitivity’ to rubber choices.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Rossh93

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Rossh93 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:12 am

Yes I have seen that a lot and that’s what I’ve noticed even a lot of places out with approved used never have 4 matching tyres etc so thanks for that reminder I’ll keep that in mind today.

I’ll give the car vertical site a go also see what else I can find on this particular car.

Appreciate all the tips and advice! Will update over the weekend :thumbsup:

Rossh93

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Rossh93 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:52 pm

Update** so the seller couldn’t make our agreed time and day to view the car so I’m yet to see the Cat D one however I have came across one at a local garage I’ll add the link below if anyone can advise … it’s a 64plate with high mileage of 108k which slightly puts me off however more in my price rage as I’m not looking to spend £26k with the way used prices are at the moment.

https://www.ggacarsales.co.uk/used-cars ... 9127289353

If anyone is selling a black /white or grey 25d/30d please let me know - I’m in Scotland 8)

Also further to my fuel efficiency question previously would you recommend the 30d for daily driving which differs between motorway and city driving. I’d prefer the 30d however due to work fuel efficiency is key.

Thanks all ! Hope it’s a good week :D

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Leslie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:32 pm

That is a lovely car in the best colour (grey imo) and with panoramic roof too , the mileage would not bother me at all , the claimed economy figures will be impossible to achieve though in the real world but other than that can't fault it so far :driving:

Wayfarer

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:09 am

Great colour, sensible wheels, nice spec, zenon lights, pan roof, comfort seats, as well by the looks of it, plus a full service history

Rossh93

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Rossh93 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:29 pm

Wayfarer wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:09 am Great colour, sensible wheels, nice spec, zenon lights, pan roof, comfort seats, as well by the looks of it, plus a full service history

Thanks for the reply and advice, only thing that worries me is mileage but I guess that’s not exactly high.

Again will update once I’ve seen the car in full.

:thumbsup:

Wayfarer

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Also it's got a full service history, but I'd go through that carefully to check dates details etc, and also put the latest reg no in the gov.uk mot history checker, as that may give you an indication on how its been cared for.

Good luck in your quest

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Newbie to be (advice)

Post by Leslie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:46 pm

I don't think those are comfort seats I think all the newer model ones look like that now , could be wrong though :D