Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E53 Faults

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
JordanMcCabe

E53 Faults

Post by JordanMcCabe » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently bought a e53 and there is a few issues I have with it, I was hoping you’d be able to point me in the right direction with the source of the problems

I have a ABS warning with no working speedo, I have plugged in diagnostic and it says I have a power fault with the N/S/R abs sensor, I have replaced the sensor and have cleaned the abs ring, I have been told that the ABS module are common for going causing this fault not sure it’s true.

I also have an airbag light on, the diagnostics is saying it’s in phase 2.

The indicator, fog lights and main beam tell tells on the dash are not working, I’ve already done the dash test and they all light up.

The central locking isn’t working from the key but all the door s lock and unlock when I use the barrel in the door.

The radio lights up but there is no sound coming out of the radio, I’ve tried using the volume buttons on the steering wheel but there is still no sound.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated cheers

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

E53 Faults

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:39 pm

Hello and :hi:

It would help if you could tell us which version you have - as in year/engine/transmission.

With that many electrical issues there’s probably a common fault. The first try will need the battery disconnecting for 30 mins to see if that resets things. I’m not certain it will in this case because there are a lot of systems all down at the same time.

At a guess I would suspect someone has been in the wiring, possibly behind the dash, radio panel or fuse board. Has it had any kind of changes made to the in car entertainment system? Are all the fuses OK? One fuse box is above the glovebox and the other in the right boot cubby. Try pulling fuses 1, 43 & 45 (all in front board) and putting them back. This can ‘reset’ the instrument panel.

The airbag warning light often means the battery wasn’t disconnected when work was done on a seat, steering wheel, or passenger airbag area - hence thinking something in the dash is disconnected. The warning light can only be reset with appropriate software or scan tools such as INPA (the full BMW Suite) or Carly and a couple of other non OEM utilities.

Check for water ingress from the scuttle into the car. There is a connection from the electrical box at the right rear of the engine bay (on a 3.0d) to the front fuse box inside the car and below it.

Speedo is usually left rear ABS wheel speed sensor fault. If you’ve changed it and it hasn’t fixed it then it’s likely to be a continuity fault between there and the ABS module.

A colleague had all sorts of electrical issues and found a rodent had got in and chewed parts of the wiring loom! Hopefully yours is not that serious. New looms are expensive :(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

JordanMcCabe

E53 Faults

Post by JordanMcCabe » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:03 pm

Hi it’s a 2004 3 litre with a 6 speed auto

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

E53 Faults

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm

Stage 2 warning means the airbag controller can’t see the igniter for that airbag. It could be bad wiring, a bad airbag, or the ECU itself. Whatever you do, do NOT connect a multimeter to the airbag itself. There’s enough current flow on continuity testing mode that it could trigger the bag.

Have you got a list of all the recorded error codes? Ideally these should be the proper BMW Codes and not the generic P-codes many diagnostic tools produce and that don’t really help. Have you been able to clear any and see if they come back?

Lighting signals all come from the Lighting Control Module and are fed over the bus to the instrument binnacle. That then puts the right warning on. You’ve tested the binnacle module so it isn’t that.

Keys not working could just be a recode needed. The pairing sequence is very simple - see Post #3 here: viewtopic.php?p=176709&hilit=Key+pairing#p176709
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

E53 Faults

Post by Leslie » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi and welcome that's a lot of issues I hope they are easy sorted. :o The abs /speedo problem is usually the passenger rear sensor ,id be tempted to plug the sensor you removed into the right rear plug (do not fit it just plug in ) clear codes and see what comes back that way you will know if the code appears on the right which was ok you really have a dud sensor rather than damaged wiring to the sensor somewhere on the way back to engine bay . New sensors some of the cheap ones do not work and I don't think the abs modules were much of a problem on the e53.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

E53 Faults

Post by henrym3 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 pm

As for the radio you don’t say whether you have DSP (digital sound processor) or more normal amp. Look in the rear left corner where the amp is and check it isn’t full of water.
I would disagree with Leslie somewhat on the reliability of the e53 ABS module. If you can establish that the wiring from the sensor to the ABS module is good then the module is toast. They can be repaired and given a lifetime warranty at around £250. No easy task to check as the module is well hidden behind the l/h headlight.