Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bmw X1 2013 20d xdrive Automatic / Strange Noise and Sudden Low MPG

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:39 am

Hi all i was sent to this forum from bimmerforums.co.uk as you all might know more about the x1 its a Bmw X1 2013 20d xdrive Automatic with 61579 miles.

About 3 weeks ago i noticed a strange noise from the front of the car the best way to describe it is a wheel bearing noise but not. Kind of like the noise a bad clutch release bearing would make that whoo, whoo, whoo, rotating noise. It can be heard when stationary but quite and is louder when accelerating up a bank under load with light to medium throttle but not as bad when accelerating on the flat.

And the MPG has dropped a lot from my calculated mpg not from the on board display its gone from a average of 32.61MPG to 21.53 MPG doing the same driving and routes.

It was serviced 4 months ago when i bought it and has had some parts fitted they are, Water Pump, Aux Tensioner, Aux Belt, Rear in tank fuel pump and the Rocker/Cam Cover Air Filter Intake Breather Pipe.

I took it to my local BMW dealer yesterday and they have said they cant find anything wrong but when i spoke to the bloke who bought the car out he told me without a code there is not much they can do and was charged £144 for the pleasure even though i told them there was no codes as i hade scanned it myself before i left it.

Any help would be appreciated as i am already getting to the point of wanting it gone but i love the car and still owe £5000 on it after putting £6,000 down cash.

Thanks All in advance.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:47 pm

Hello.

My first thought is, if you only bought it four months ago, you need to contact that dealer, BMW franchised or not. The car has a six months warranty so its for them to sort out.

As for BMWs charge, have a word with the dealer principal. £144 with no diagnosis is a joke 😡

VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:03 am

Hey sapphireblack thanks for the reply, it was bought from a local garage not affiliated with BMW so it only came with a 3 month warranty. Spoke to the BMW dealer i took it to again and was told i paid for there labour and nothing else and i quote its not our fault if nothing showed up.

So i am looking for a good indi that will have a look, i guess what they say is true a dealer Technician can only read a diagnostic computer and arnt a real mechanic.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:48 am

Whereabouts in the country are you? If near Milton Keynes, there’s a good Indy at Bradville. All ex-BMW techs and run by a couple of Master Techs. They are definitely not of the ‘computer says nothing wrong’ type.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 am

I am near Staffordshire.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:58 pm

VapeLife wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:03 am Hey sapphireblack thanks for the reply, it was bought from a local garage not affiliated with BMW so it only came with a 3 month warranty. Spoke to the BMW dealer i took it to again and was told i paid for there labour and nothing else and i quote its not our fault if nothing showed up.

So i am looking for a good indi that will have a look, i guess what they say is true a dealer Technician can only read a diagnostic computer and arnt a real mechanic.
Doesn't the sale of goods act afford you six months, "fit for purpose etc"?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:55 pm

Consumer Rights Act 2015 notes from Autotrader. You have rights within the 30-day to 6 month period since purchase:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/ad ... -buy-a-car
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:31 pm

I am going to get on the phone to them tomorrow, thanks for posting that at least i now know i have some legal backing. Will let you know what they say tomorrow.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:30 am

Don’t know where about in Staffordshire you are but there are a couple of excellent indies in Derby

VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:06 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates its been a battle and half with the garage mixed with Christmas and the new year. without boring you all they are refusing to take any responsibility for the issue so i arnt sure where to do with it now.

The latest calculated mpg is now at 25.43 so a slight improvement but still 7-8 mpg short of what it used to do.

I have noticed that the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler looks like it is misting/spraying some oil on the surroundings so i am thinking that might be playing a part with the low mpg ie if oil can get out so can some boots pressure, maybe leading to over fuelling to compensate. So ive got one ordered and should be here hopefully tomorrow.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:05 pm

Trading standards (or whomever) may be worth a call if the dealer is walking away 🤔

VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:24 pm

Thanks what i am going to do as i checked the oil about a hour ago when i got in just as a routine check and the oil level is overfilled, it was fine when i checked it about 4 weeks ago so the only thing i can think of it being now is maybe a injector leaking causing the oil level to increase and then causing the poor mpg.

Either way it is starting to look like i am up s*** creak without a paddle.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:50 am

Oil level up.
Is the car getting up to temp.
What sort of runs does it do.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:21 pm

Getting up to temp as mentioned above is critical to DPF regens and would show up in the cold weather , well it would if we had a temp gauge :roll: .If you look on youtube it will show you how to unlock the hidden menu on the dash with the last 7 digits of vin to display the running temp when warm , its needs to be I think about 88c , if its in the 60's or 70's the thermostats (usually 2 ) egr and main stat need changing asap.
Failed regens will tend to fill up the sump too so could all be linked :thumbsup: Get it checked as the dpf will block if its not sorted causing worse bother . :fuelfire: Stat's won't cause a code afaik

VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:31 pm

The car seams to get up to temp quite quick but don't know the actual temp so will get it checked tomorrow and let you know.

It normally get a trip of 12 Miles to work and back so only 24 Mile a day and on every other weekend gets a good run on the motorway for around 2 hours.

Ive also checked with my foxwell and it dose say that a regen was last completed 28km ago.

Regarding the oil level can someone confirm for me the way to check the oil on theses cars is to drive the car for 5 or so miles wait 5 mins then check the level, that's what the manual says. Ive checked the level when cold and it is only just above the min on the dip stick but when checking after warming up its over full. Ive just never known a car to recommend checking the oil when its hot.