Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bmw X1 2013 20d xdrive Automatic / Strange Noise and Sudden Low MPG

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:24 pm

After spending around hour checking every data point that i could find the only thing that i could find that looked a bit strange in the charging pressure actuator. That was sat at 0% when according to the scanner should be within 5 - 95%. I don't know if it being at 0 is a issue as the car was at idle and cant find any info about the correct value at idle.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (60.41 KiB) Viewed 11419 times

VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:01 pm

I've uploaded a 8 min drive with the live data. If anyone knows if the value should be a 5% minimum please let me know. As i cant find anything about the actual values any where. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5hycZnbFFA

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:23 pm

I'm no expert on these things, but it looks to me like it wants different boost "Specified charge pressure" to what it's getting "Charging pressure, actual". As the charging pressure actuator is barely registering, I'd be looking pressure-check the intake from the turbo to the inlet manifold to eliminate leaks, and if none found then replace the actuator.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:12 am

Do the figures change at a fast idle?

The figures for the air pressure probably aren't far off. 'Standard' atmospheric pressure is 1013 hPa (mbar as was) so if the weather wasn't good then the 1008 could be barometric pressure on the day and the tubo is spinning slowly so only a slight increase. If nothing really changes when the engine speed increases then you're looking for leaks on all joints/pipes between the turbo and inlet manifold.

Does the car have an intercooler? Is there a thin pipe from the acuator itself to some kind of other sensor? The E53 has thin pipes all around the turbo and if any come off you lose power (same on my E71).

I haven't been able to find any figures either. The only references simply refer to checking the DDE data with ISTA/INPA/BMW own diagnostics - and I haven't got those.
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:09 pm

At fast idle it doesn't change much i noticed a jump to 17% for one second then back down to 0. It was raining and about 5c when i did the recording.

Also as far as i can tell there are no small pipes to the actuator as it is electronic controlled and not like a normal waste gate.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.01 KiB) Viewed 11265 times

IanP

Post by IanP » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:43 pm

Have you checked the intercooler internally to see if it is oil contaminated causing a slight blockage?

VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:31 pm

Ive not checked the intercooler but i did replace the turbo to intercooler hose about 4 weeks ago as there was a misting of oil at the end of it. The hose did have a coating of oil in it but it was not dripping in oil.

I arnt sure the amount that would be acceptable as ive heard that a light covering is acceptable but others say any oil at all indicates a issue.

I have narrowed the issue down to 3 possible things, The Turbo/charging pressure actuator, Torque Converter / Gearbox as they are the only things i can think of that turn when at idle as well as moving that has not been replaced. (noise can be heard at idle but quiet and gets louder when moving but only to a certain point ie louder between 1500 and 2500 +/- 100 rpm and dose not get louder after that point so defo not a wheel bearing)

The noise its making sounds louder the drivers side as my misses says its not as loud her side, so i am thinking i could eliminate the Torque Converter / Gearbox as that is in the centre of the car and not over to one side. I am up the hospital all day tomorrow with the misses but i will check for any air leaks and i am going to get someone to drive the car so i can have a listen in the passenger seat hopefully on wednesday.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:28 pm

Worth also checking the actual intercooler for cracks/holes etc. Rare but not unknown. If there’s oil in the intercooler that isn’t a good sign, but it depends upon how much. There is some blow by from the EGR so if it’s only a light coat I would expect the EGR itself and of no real concern. Dripping oil is more worrying as that tends to point at the turbo seals, especially if the engine’s oil consumption is increasing, however you haven’t’ r reported that :).

Beyond that I would look at all of the connections between the turbo outlet and inlet manifold. Is all of the turbo plumbing on the driver’s side of the engine - then out to the intercooler and across to the other side for the inlet manifold? It’s how it looks in RealOEM. Each pipe has separate seals so they may be going. If the noise is more on one side, that’s a useful clue. You should still be able to hear it if standing looking at the engine though. Might need a stethoscope (cheap enough on Amazooon… :) ).

VapeLife

Post by VapeLife » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:25 pm

Well ladies and Gents i think the noise has been found i was about to check all the air pipes and intercooler with some soapy water for leaks and i had a feeling to check the turbo.

When i moved the not sure what is is actually called maybe the impeller it has a lot of movement side to side / up and down enough to the point of being able to touch the casing with the blades as well as about 5 mm movement in and out. So i am confident that the issue is the turbo so on the look for a recon turbo and will post back when i have got one and fitted it.

IanP

Post by IanP » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:36 pm

That's the rotor, and you are correct it should have very little 'lift' and no axial movement. That will certainly be major point in your poor consumption. Surprised you couldnt hear it rattle, and that the turbo seals haven't gone south.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:01 pm

Especially if it's an oil seal that goes. Engine runs on its own oil, makes very nasty noises, revs a LOT, pours smoke and then grenades whilst your trying to work out how to stop a runaway diesel (block the air intake with a wet towel!!).

Years back I can remember a member whose E53 turbo rotor suffered bent intake-side vanes. It made a mess but fortunately nothing got as far as the engine intake.

I don't remember anyone suffering a runaway though. And no, the rotor should not move as you describe.

IanP

Post by IanP » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:09 pm

If a rotor goes pop the compressor bits usually get stuck in the intercooler

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:29 pm

That turbo sounds completely knackered , I changed the intake seal on mine today (x5sd e70)as it was leaking a little oil over time and making a right mess on the intercooler pipe ,blades spun nice and free :driving: Couldn't find the water leak I was looking for though but suspect water pump is on the way out :headbang: Couldn't see how to let the belt tension off yet so I could feel pump bearings .

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:16 pm

Belt tensioner … says you need to do this if you want to change the water pump. Hoping this might be the right engine/version. (M57?)
46E1F86B-1DAD-440F-897D-2CA0EF196292.jpeg
46E1F86B-1DAD-440F-897D-2CA0EF196292.jpeg (92.97 KiB) Viewed 11075 times
If the AC one also needs to come off that needs a special tool to put it back. Piece of cake really … not!

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:16 pm

X5Sport wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:16 pm Belt tensioner … says you need to do this if you want to change the water pump. Hoping this might be the right engine/version. (M57?)

If the AC one also needs to come off that needs a special tool to put it back. Piece of cake really … not!
Thank you :thumbsup: I was looking for something to put a spanner on like my old 330d when I changed the water pump on it :rofl: I just wanted to feel the water pump pulley for play without belt tension/ I replaced the stat before 3 years ago and its really not much more work when belt is off just 4 bolts . You really don't need to take the belt fully off just move it out the way unless being changed imo.
These modern aircon belts are "stretch belts " I just replaced on on our focus as it's in front of water pump/alternator belt like most nowadays.There is no adjuster on these and no way of taking the tension off , it just says cut it off ! (brilliant design ..not) You're right putting these on without the tool is a right faff it took me about 20 mins , the tool is little more than a spacer too allow the belt to ride over the grooves till it snaps on as you rotate the crank pulley . I used a piece of card on the grooves but with limited access it wasn't fun :rofl: