Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Well it's a goodbye from me..

M50dG05

Post by M50dG05 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:04 pm

So after an e70 40d, F15 M50d and then a 6 month old G05 M50d, its time to say goodbye.

Car has sat on the drive since purchase in July. Took it into work to do an interim oil change at 9k on Saturday.

Thought to myself "love the car, but it's done 950 miles since purchase" and it's has cost me more per mile in insurance and road tax than fuel! Couldn't stick it on my block policy as that has a £50k vehicle value limit, so was running a seperate private policy at £1k a year, plus the £500 first 5 years tax..

Luckily I don't have any finance on it, so thought, it has to go, too much ££ sitting there not being used..

Couple of calls later to a few dealer friends and I had a firm commitment at £67500 - £2500 more than I paid...

Deal done, car collected and paid for Sunday..

Dealer has it up for £72995 and will no doubt make a few £ on the finance and extras, but I couldn't sell it private as most people will want finance. Wbac offered me £62500, but the spec of the car sold it...

That left me with a few dilemmas..

I need something to tow the 27' twin axle caravan.. Can do it with my Lwb Vito, but that only has 3 seats, and we have too many kids!

Also need a "niceish" thing when I go out, with with the wife and a couple of kids, and it needs to be nippy, as will miss the M50d power..

So...

Fast forward a couple of days..

Van sold, and replaced with a 2014 3.0 V6 Auto Viano 8 seater, fully specc'd with elec doors and moon roofs etc... Towbar from van will be going on Viano, so family transport and towcar sorted in one fell swoop!

And the toy? Well I'm sticking with BMW obvs, and have a customer that I know was made redundant at Xmas, and was looking to sell, but reluctant..

So I made the call and did the deal on a fully loaded 2018 M140i Shadow edition 5dr Auto, at about 9k below book (finance payments due and he couldn't pay, so I paid it off and gave him the difference)

Car has been cherished with 25k miles, quaife LSD, bootmod3 stage 2 with decat and cobra exhaust and 480bhp/760nm on the dyno.. 😂😂 It is lethal!

My alarm guy has been to the dealership today to remove the ghost and Vodafone connect and protect tracker as per the deal done, and will be refitting them to the M140i tomorrow, so at least I'll be able to sleep!

So saying goodbye, but I may be back, once the kids have fled the nest..

In the meantime, I'm rather enjoying 3.7sec 0-60 and the noise from the B58 with a decat and exhaust is exhilarating! It's prob gonna cost me a fortune in Michelin PS4S's, but it's GOOD fun!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:27 am

Reads like an abridged novel 😁

Not often you can turn a profit on a 'regular' car so if you're happy all is good 😎

It begs the question in my mind though, why did you buy it?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:41 am

Just coz it's gone doesn't mean you need to as well......

2nd hand car proces have gone silly and when we were looking at orfewring the M340d back in the Autumn, the dealer guaranteed the price right through the 9 month timings. It will be intersting to see how high the price remnains when we start again in about 3 months or so. I know they are desperate to have stock of nearly new because they can't get now ones.

One UK person who ordered an M440i had a call from his dealer to let them now that his car trade-in value had gone up over £2,500 in three months so offered a better finance deal.

BMW usually add at least £2,500 to the price you get as that's the cost of the AUC warranty.

I did see something on bimmerpost a couple of weeks back about a Merc Dealer who added $50k to the price of a new car just because in the US they could and it was a limited edition. Completely legal in that state. The customer was seriously p!ssed as you would expect but walked away. I don't think they're allowed to pull that stunt in the UK.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

M50dG05

Post by M50dG05 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:48 am

sapphireblack wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:27 am Reads like an abridged novel 😁

Not often you can turn a profit on a 'regular' car so if you're happy all is good 😎

It begs the question in my mind though, why did you buy it?
Just fancied a change lol!