Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EGR Fault

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EGR Fault

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:55 pm

See above. Did they disturb or incorrectly route some wiring, or leave plugs disconnected. Has wiring got damaged, pins broken etc? There’s a lot of sensor wiring all round that area.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Eminem0473

EGR Fault

Post by Eminem0473 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:32 pm

Yeah I noticed the diagrams you posted thanks. Didn't realise that the sensors registering faults were actually on the dpf that they had removed. Do you think these sensors could have caused the other fault codes that were stored aswell.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

EGR Fault

Post by Leslie » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:11 pm

You have certainly had a rough time with it :( , it would have been cheaper by now to go to Bmw but with a gutted DPF the first thing they will say is you need a new one which will be a silly cost . It was running ok till it wouldn't start after the dpf was gutted is that correct ? If so its likely there is a separate fault now or it has been intermittent but there all along and is getting worse. If the dpf has been coded out the other codes for oxygen sensor etc may not be relevant now anyway.
The only thing that looks important now is rail pressure which is often a pump/injector leakoff issue which can be tested with software.

The turbos etc are all controlled by rubber vacuum lines these can get brittle and split id disturbed causing all sorts of issues and there are a lot of them ,many hidden from view and I suspect but am not sure that egr is also monitored by the airflow/airmass meter as less air is needed when egr is occurring. These are complicated beasts when they go wrong .There are lots of videos on utube for the 35d as it was imported to America but I don't think they got the 40d so that isn't well covered for faults.

Eminem0473

EGR Fault

Post by Eminem0473 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:18 am

Thanks for your reply. I have had issues since it first broke down due to the turbos. After getting it back from the garage it kept throwing the eml light and showing egr faults. After a couple of hundred miles it broke down again and the garage fitted a new egr valve and glow plug module. After they where fitted the car then threw the fault codes for glow plugs 1 and 4. It also kept coming up with the same egr fault codes so the garage fitted another egr valve. Unfortunately the car still kept throwing the eml light for egr faults. So I decided to go down the route of dpf and egr delete. Now after 6 days using the car I now have the issues and fault codes as stated. Rough cost of repairs at the moment is about £5000

Eminem0473

EGR Fault

Post by Eminem0473 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:35 am

I can remember once that a scan showed up something about smooth running in cylinder 6. Do you think that could have anything to do with problems I've experienced? Thanks

marti

EGR Fault

Post by marti » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:45 am

Can you see any evidence of water ingress around at the rear of the engine around injector 5 & 6?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

EGR Fault

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:17 pm

marti wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:45 am Can you see any evidence of water ingress around at the rear of the engine around injector 5 & 6?
You are right about this there are water trays at the back of the engine and they split and drip water on injectors 5 and 6 , I looked at mine just this week and the drivers one is split and will be letting water in , until you touch them they look fine but they are just sitting there and wobble when touched .This in mine the piece with the build date on it , looks fine but its actually broken in 2 .The centre one is the most critical and they get brittle with age.
20220319_114848[1].jpg
20220319_114848[1].jpg (155.13 KiB) Viewed 13648 times

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

EGR Fault

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:21 pm

Eminem0473 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:35 am I can remember once that a scan showed up something about smooth running in cylinder 6. Do you think that could have anything to do with problems I've experienced? Thanks
It could certainly have something to do with the non starting due to excessive leak off lowering the injector rail pressure ,if the min pressure is not met it will refuse to start . The fact yours started later when some pressure may have build from a start a while before just made it meet the min pressure so it started. Battery condition is critical too as a higher starter speed will allow a greater injection pressure to build

Eminem0473

EGR Fault

Post by Eminem0473 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:33 pm

Will try and get the garage to look at this when it goes in to get the o2 sensor and exhaust temp sensor replaced. Although the garage have said that these 2 faulty sensors wouldn't have been the reason my broke down on me.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

EGR Fault

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:10 pm

You really want to find out why it broke down and if it's an injector issue first so you can get some reliable miles on your car without spending any more money you don't have too :thumbsup: Get them to do a smooth running test with their scantool and see if any are out of spec and go from there . It broke down again and you need them to find out why :driving: otherwise it is only going to happen again :D

I don't think changing sensors which may well be fine on a part that doesn't even work anymore is going to help much .

Eminem0473

EGR Fault

Post by Eminem0473 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:16 pm

Thanks for your reply. So is the o2 sensor and the exhaust temperature sender not needed on my car anymore since the dpf was deleted? I noticed a couple of weeks ago when the car was started from cold that smoke came from around the area where the turbos are. I got my daughter to video it today when I started the car but don't seem to be able to attach the video on here.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EGR Fault

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:44 pm

Videos require an external link rather than uploading. The site owner doesn’t permit video uploading.

You shouldn’t be getting smoke from anywhere. That implies an exhaust gas leak or oil leak.

And with the DPF missing (illegal) you have no need for the sensors because the emissions controls are no longer installed and they were coded out.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

EGR Fault

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:08 pm

The sensors should now not be needed as said and there shouldn't be an exhaust leak really, I assume it does away as soon as it starts if so id stick with the main plan for now to get a running reliable car as if you give the garage too many jobs the one important one will be less likely to be completed.

Eminem0473

EGR Fault

Post by Eminem0473 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:14 pm

Yeah the smoke from the turbo area goes away after a couple of seconds from startup thanks

lezmtaylor

EGR Fault

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:32 am

Ye gods, what a tale of woes !! I really feel for you, I have a 2002 4.4 l petrol/lpg and am really pleased I don't get the problems that some diesel cars throw.
I have just changed my spark plugs and that took me best part of 30 hours !! thank ye gods won't need doing for at least another 60,000 miles, or realistically the life of the car ( have done less than 400 miles each year over last 3 years). or me as I'm 79 in May.

Lez