Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Leave de-badged or replace?

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:28 pm

My door and boot badges were looking pretty ropey so I've removed them all today, removed the gunky residue of course and polished the areas to finish off.

I had already bought some black gloss replacements but i'm not sure if i will use them? I offered up the large 'X6' on the boot but yet again an eBay purchase disappoints, it simply wasnt sticky enough to stay bonded, it actually fell off :? (yes i had cleaned after polishing)

Anyway, better without?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:48 pm

My X6 only has the ‘X6’ on the boot. Nothing about the engine or variant. No badges on the wings either. I know what it is and no one else needs to. It’s the same on our E46 - just the BMW roundel front and rear. Both of us prefer the ‘cleaner’ look. When we eventually get to order the G21 (this Summer I hope) M340d I’ll have that de-badged as well. If you know your BMWs then you know what it is. :D

It always makes me smile when I see a basic 3-series with an M3 badge on the boot. The fact that the car is missing the quad-pipes and is fitted with 16” skinny tyres is a bit of a clue, but let ‘em dream….. :driving:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:15 pm

Just been looking at possibilities. I see that the F16s X6 badge is nicer imo but only seems to be offered as X6 M 🤔 could leave the M off i suppose? I don't want to be laughed at though as i do when i see M badges on so many Beemers. That said my car is full M Sport spec 🤔🤔

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:17 pm

I've got an eBay-special gloss black X3 boot badge on the boot. It's been on there nearly 4 years with no problems. Did you warm the panel with a heat gun?

I've been meaning to de-badge the doors (can't find black "xDrive 30d" badges anywhere), but haven't got round to it yet. :roll:
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:54 pm

I didn't warm it to be honest, i had thought to get the heat gun out but i'd got a bit cold in the wind here. I'm getting old :(

I plan to try again tomorrow ☺

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:23 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:17 pm(can't find black "xDrive 30d" badges anywhere)
Should have added "..... in the UK".

I need to wash the car, as it's plastered in salt, so I'll get those door badges removed when I do it.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:03 am

I think you'll have to create the badge you need. From my research, plenty of gloss black XDRIVE or XDrive options, then buy any applicable 330 or 530 type badge and just omit the first digit 😎

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:22 am

sapphireblack wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:03 amI think you'll have to create the badge you need. From my research, plenty of gloss black XDRIVE or XDrive options, then buy any applicable 330 or 530 type badge and just omit the first digit 😎
That ^^^ had occurred to me, but TBH I think I'd rather leave them off.

marti

Post by marti » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:31 am

Better without :thumbsup:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:53 pm

Nothing wrong with an " M" badge if you want it bmw even put then on x5 wheels. The cost of genuine badges is a bit silly though, a new bonnet badge cost me 42 quid plus grommets were extra! That's about the same as a full set of genuine wheel centres which is 4 plastic badges so a bit expensive as the bonnet badge is also plastic now. The roundel blew of mine in one of the storms leaving the aluminium base.
I bought a cheap m badge and within 6 months it looked weathered as if it had been in a sandstorm :headbang:

Take the x5 m badge and put the m on the other side jof the car ob done :thumbsup:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:56 pm

Well, after deliberating over coffee outdoors, and borrowing the wifes hairdryer, I've no use for one these days :( i have fixed the black X6 boot badge and i prefer it more than nude.
Been further deliberating whether to put the small size black M badges on the front wings? Near neighbour has an E70 with these below the side indicator and XDrive...... badges on the doors. Not sure about that combined tbh, but assume its factory? Then wondered about M XDrive on the doors without engine designations?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:37 pm

Adding to my non chrome, full on black look.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X6-E71-G ... 635-2958-0

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:07 pm

You’ll be needing the ‘blackline’ rear lights too then…

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=03_2189
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:47 pm

I looked at those when i first bought the car. Not cheap, but the real off putter is coding. Dealer visits for such are not particularly attractive, given the expense.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:29 pm

Once the rear roundel cover arrives, i think thats basically it. Exhaust tips replaced with OE gloss black versions, genuine BMW kidney grills in gloss black. The front foglight surrounds custom painted, gloss black of course, and too many sets of black wheels, albeit they're satin black :D

I've considered swapping wheel, bonnet and boot badges to black 'n' white but have resisted and probably won't go that far. Not sure they would actually look good?