Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering rack replacement

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Nightsman33

Post by Nightsman33 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:44 pm

How much should i be looking at to replace my steering rack please guys on my E53 its a 3.0D facelift.
Starting to leak quite badly now and filling the rack end boots up with fluid pretty quick.

Thanks all.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:01 pm

If you go for a ZF remanufactured part (they were the OEM Supplier), you’re looking at around £770 + a core charge (£400) refunded when you return the busted one. Around 1/3 to half that price for a non-OEM rebuilt. The price BMW would want is probably a good deal higher plus their labour charges. Good couple of hours work I would expect.

Don’t even ask about the cost of a brand new one!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Nightsman33

Post by Nightsman33 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:31 pm

Remanufactured one id buy can get them £200 with 2 year warranty id take a punt on them was just wondering more the labour side of things how much work involved. With the price of diesel getting it be parked up anyway so will Hve plenty of time to repair 😂

AVI-8

Post by AVI-8 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:02 pm

Western Power Steering in Bristol do a fast turn around service, send your rack to them and they’ll rebuild it and send it back.
Have you got it off the car yet?